How to stop people from cheating?

Started by
18 comments, last by Toolmaker 19 years, 7 months ago
My biggest concern for my fps is people cheating using aimbots, esp . How can one stop the use of this? Is there a way I can at least make it harder for them? What do I do to stop them from decompiling my .dll's into header files then hooking the engine? Anyhelp would be welcomed/
hi2uall!!1
Advertisement
How it is that you're asking how to prevent cheating here, and in another thread you're trying to get someone to code an aimbot for you for some game?
To stop enemy, you must first know HOW he works. By having one made for MY game, I'll know how to stop it...genious.
hi2uall!!1
DRM! Some future version of Windows and/or chip will probably be able to prevent people from doing what they want with their own computers.
You can't make a "generic" aimbot, if game changes a lot it will have to be rewritten for individual patches. To be honest, I wouldn't care so much about aimbots, it's not much you can do about them. Wallhack is possible to prevent (at least most of it) by simply not sending/updating information about enemies that the player can't see. When it comes to aimbots you could only make it harder to write. The problem is that the code that makes aimbotting harder will be rather complicated and probably quite buggy as well, so it's probably better to either just use statistical detection or skip it entirely. With statistical detection I mean trying to detect it by noticing that a player is behaving in an unnatural way when it comes to accuracy and movement.
The wallhack thing fix Erik said wouldnt work, because the client has to know where another client is even if it cant see it (within a range) because it couldnt just start gathering information right as the user sees it, or the other player would literally look like it came out of nowhere...also for grenades and the like..

that is why, IIRC, most fps games have wallhacks of some sort..
gib.son
Quote:Original post by c-gibson-s
The wallhack thing fix Erik said wouldnt work, because the client has to know where another client is even if it cant see it (within a range) because it couldnt just start gathering information right as the user sees it, or the other player would literally look like it came out of nowhere...also for grenades and the like..

That's why he added "(at least most of it)". I saw my brother trying out a wallhack for CS and it only worked perfectly on LAN; online it only started working whenever an enemy got close enough to a wall that he might appear into visibility within a second or two. Of couse, this still made the hack useful since certain quite low transparent entities or otherwise entities that might move had to be accounted for by the engine, which then sent information about enemies on the other side, even if a player normally wouldn't see through.
Quote:Original post by Unwise owl
Quote:Original post by c-gibson-s

That's why he added "(at least most of it)". I saw my brother trying out a wallhack for CS and it only worked perfectly on LAN; online it only started working whenever an enemy got close enough to a wall that he might appear into visibility within a second or two. Of couse, this still made the hack useful since certain quite low transparent entities or otherwise entities that might move had to be accounted for by the engine, which then sent information about enemies on the other side, even if a player normally wouldn't see through.

and you didnt beat your brother for hacking?
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
It is probably imposible to prevent all cheating, but you can make it as hard as possible. You can read some general security books for ideas. Some basic methods would be detecting tampering with you program's files, detect cheats when they are running, do as much as possible server-side, ecrypt your data and etc.

Finally someone here said the following about implementing cheat protections:
Quote:
Always check the checks that check your checks.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
Quote:Original post by OrthoDiablo
It is probably imposible to prevent all cheating, but you can make it as hard as possible. You can read some general security books for ideas. Some basic methods would be detecting tampering with you program's files, detect cheats when they are running, do as much as possible server-side, ecrypt your data and etc.

Finally someone here said the following about implementing cheat protections:
Quote:
Always check the checks that check your checks.

Yes, I have already done most of these, but the hacks plaguing my fps that I helped develop aren't detected. They use dll module hiders so I can't detect when the .dll is loaded...what can I do to stop this??
hi2uall!!1

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement