Animated 3d model formats

Started by
4 comments, last by Prozak 19 years, 7 months ago
What would be an appropriate 3d model format for a senior semester long game development project(3d space shooter)? I've been looking at MD2 and 3ds, but I'd like to make the right choice before writing the code. Open formats would be much prefered, however the ones I've looked at don't have very much backing compared to what you would find for say Quake2 models. Thanks for any input.
Advertisement
If you're using directX, the X format supports skinned (animated) meshes. I'd suggest you go with that for now. You can convert 3ds models to x by using the converted included in the SDK.

But if you're not using directX...?

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...
But if you're not using directX...?

I would advise you to go with the MD2 format if you're using OpenGL. I've already written a MD2 importer for my engine, as has many of the coders here.

You can find free downloadable models on PolyCount, and if you have any doubts regarding MD2, feel free to pm-me.

Good luck with your project.
or an MD3 loader, text-based MD3 is easy to do

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Not too many shooters use skin meshes. Is that really what you need? If you just need individual parts to move and rotate around on the ships, then this can be done with simple skeletal structures, or even in-game hard coded skeletons with static meshes.
Let me warn you, there is one less-than-easy aspect about MD2 files, they don't have normals, that means that you won't be able to light them unless you create a normal-generation function...

... then to speed things up at load time, you'll have to dump the results from the normals generation function to a file, so you can load it on the fly later.

If any of this math stuff scares you, then maybe you should go with the MD3 option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement