Sign in to follow this  
White Scorpion

Good programming style/design

Hi everyone ! I just wanted to know if there is/are a/some special book(s)/tutorial(s) that could teach me how to get a good idea of how to design things ? I think it's my thing to practice, my program always have so bad design that I have to rewrite them from the start because they suck too much. Thank you guys/girls

When I wanted to read up on design methods I actually just checked out the articles right here on gamedev. There's an absolute wealth of information available - you won't need to touch google!

As for good programming style, check out the C++ Coding Standard - a lot of the stuff in there makes great sense for conventions to adhere to. It's a bit dry but well worth the read - you only really need to read it once. ;)

There are many books on how to design programs. Most of these books focus on using UML, so make sure you are familiar with that first. Other than the recommendations that those books make, you just need experience. It takes time to learn to apply what you know, to be able to recognize situations where solution A is better than solution B. Where and when to use patterns, and which ones to use.

There are some books here under the Design heading, that are good books to read and learn from.