Is the internet needed?

Started by
17 comments, last by Palidine 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I am planning on buying a new computer for my bedroom, Linux platformed. If I did get a computer in my room I wouldn't be able to have the internet because I would have no idea how to network Win2000 (this PC) and Suse (the PC I'm planning) and this PC (Win2000) has to have the internet or my Dad will not pay towards it. Therefore I think the best option is to just sacrifice the internet, as valuable and important it is to me at the moment, having privacy is probably better for me. What I'm wondering is whether I could learn Java fully without the internet, eg. Books, CDs? Or is the internet so indispensible that I'd either have to use this PC for the internet or learn how to network Suse & Windows? Thanks in Advance TomX [Edited by - TomX on September 21, 2004 2:22:21 PM]
Advertisement
What I'd do is download as much stuff about Java before you lose the net. Starting points are obvious: the Java SDK, and the API documentation (hope you have broadband, that's 50MB+ already if I remember).

Next invaluable resource is the Java tutorial - this is a great introduction to Java written by Sun, also on the official Java site.

I personally found the Java tutorial to be of immeasureable help; I had books available that didn't help as much. And that was a good few years ago now, hopefully it's improved even more :D

But yeah. Once you have the Java docs, you can pretty much learn to do most simple stuff with just your own initiative. They're technical and not that detailed, but you can figure out what most things do if you browser through them and apply yourself. So you won't need the Internet to learn Java if you have those three things downloaded I'd say.

Overall it'll depend on what you want to use Java for. Do you want to learn the language? Implement a project?
---PS3dev
Win2k supports internet connection sharing and simply turns itself into a dhcp server / gateway. Set your SuSe box to DHCP and you're in.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
why don't you just network suse and windows. it's pretty easy. i assume you already have a DHCP server that's giving your win machine an ip address aka your DSL/Cable router? just slam a network hub between the win machine and the router and plug your suse box into the same HUD. if you don't have DHCP running on your LAN (aka you have just one IP address & your win box controlls the modem directly) there are 2 solutions:

1) buy a router like this one (this one has wireless as well but you can buy ones that don't for cheaper):
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

2) install a second ethernet card on the win box and enable internet connection sharing through that card. the setup on the suse side is as simple as entering the correct ip address of that 2nd ethernet card, or just setting the win box to run a DHCP server on it (settable on the win machine)

learning to network those boxes shouldn't take more than a day provided you have the right hardware.

-me
Quote:Original post by davedx
Do you want to learn the language?

Yes, solely. I already have the docs, API and SDK on CD, unfortunately this PC (Win2000) doesn't even have a CDRW so I cannot make back-ups of the E-Books people have sent me, maybe I would need to upload them to a webserver and then hook up this Suse computer to the internet once to download them, then disconnect for life :(

Quote:Win2k supports internet connection sharing and simply turns itself into a dhcp server / gateway. Set your SuSe box to DHCP and you're in.

Call me a newb but I had great difficulties networking Win98 and Win2000, I do not understand all the networking technical terms, I've never really touched on the hardware side of computers... yet.
Quote:Original post by Palidine
why don't you just network suse and windows. it's pretty easy. i assume you already have a DHCP server that's giving your win machine an ip address aka your DSL/Cable router? just slam a network hub between the win machine and the router and plug your suse box into the same HUD. if you don't have DHCP running on your LAN (aka you have just one IP address & your win box controlls the modem directly) there are 2 solutions:

1) buy a router like this one (this one has wireless as well but you can buy ones that don't for cheaper):
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

2) install a second ethernet card on the win box and enable internet connection sharing through that card. the setup on the suse side is as simple as entering the correct ip address of that 2nd ethernet card, or just setting the win box to run a DHCP server on it (settable on the win machine)

learning to network those boxes shouldn't take more than a day provided you have the right hardware.

-me

Hmm, sounds simple but I hear troubleshooting can be long-winded, do you know any good websites on cross platform networking?

Thanks in Advance
TomX
there's really nothing special about cross platform networking. once you get outside the box onto the ethernet wire, all computers are exactly the same. if you can get another win box on the network, you can get a suse box on the same network. basically if you set up the DHCP server on the shared connection you literally just have to plug machines into it.

one simple but important caveat:

between the win box doing the connection sharing and whatever box you want to netwrok it with you need either a network hub or what's called a crossover cable. if you just plug a normal ethernet cable between the 2 boxes it will never work.

i don't know of any networking tutorials off the top of my head but i guarantee that [google] does. just remember there's nothing special about networking 2 different boxes if they run different operating systems.

-me

Hmm, well according to the tutorials I found on Google my Win2000 machine is already set up as a DHCP server, maybe because I have broadband?

Anyway, so all I would need to is to plug it into a hub, then set up DHCP onto my Suse machine (when I get it) and plug that into the hub too, along with the cable with the internet connection?

Thanks in Advance
TomX
If you only want to network two computers, just get a crossover ethernet cable. How are you connected to your ISP? If USB, it's easy; if you have to use Ethernet, then you'll need a router probably.
---PS3dev
I don't get it. Didn't you say your Dad was gonna keep the net on the windows PC? Just leech off of his when you need to study some docs. Print out a few pages and run back off to your room [lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement