Sign in to follow this  
papa

How to create a new DirectX9 project in Visual .NET 2003

Hi. I've done a bit of search on this subject but couldnt find anything that could fully answer my question. I would like to create a new DirectX 9 project in Visual Studio .Net 2003 but dont know how in this environment. When I select NEW PROJECT I can see Win32 Project etc.. but I can't see DirectX project as I used to see this in Visual C++ 6. Could you please let me know step-by-step how to create this project. I did install Direct9 SDK "dxsdk_sum2004.exe". Is there anything I am missing? Or I need to configure .NET first?

When you install the SDK, you must make sure you set it to use the VS extensions. It is off by default, so you probably just didn't set the switch. It is possible to do it yourself, just add references to the correct libraries.

The DirectX Project as far as I know was removed from the 2004 update. But if you go to the samples application you can install or copy a base application from there, it also asks you for a new name for the project.

oh nooo. Why Microsoft always complicates things. Why not just add a simple project template so you could create it whenever you like rather than going through this mess. They spend time on their stupid new GUI interface (DirectX9 summer 2004) adding some crappy buttons and sliders which never will be used by any game company or at least by me rather than think logically and add something that is really necessary and useful. I feel like I keep setting Microsoft environment all my life rather than learning the meat. Ie. Computer Graphics programming. Sooo useless.

But thanks guys for your replies at last I managed to compile this crap. thanks.

LOL, I know how you feel, there's nothing worse than spending hours of precious development time wading through missing libraries and header file garbage.

Having said that, I actually really like that DirectX has a built in GUI. It looks pretty flexible (you can set your own textures to 'skin' it) and to be honest, the alternatives for GUI's for games companies can be much MUCH worse :P (i.e. Renderware's "Flash" stuff... Gah).