Sign in to follow this  
Scooter911

Loading an X File using DelphiX

Hello. I've looked and have not found any similar posts on this topic - but if it has been alreay answered I appologise. I've been playing with the samples supplied with DelphiX. What I want to do is load my own .x object into a DelphiX app. The sample with cube.x works perfectly. However, whenever I try to use my own .x file all I see is a black screen. I've used the mesh viewer app that comes with DirectX and my objects load and work fine. Can someone tell me what exactly I need to do to get my own .x files to load and work? I'm using 3DS 6 to create the objects. Any ideas? Scooter911

Okay, I'm at my wits end!

I launched mview, the mesh viewer that comes with the DirectX SDK. I opened cube.x and then simply re-saved the file - and the Delphi sample application that comes with DelphiX STILL won't display the newly created file!! What's going on???

When I opened both .x files with notepad just to see what is saved, the original cube.x and the 'new' cube1.x look different!

Is the sample DelphiX application designed to use some weird version of .x???

The sample application will open all the .x files that are included with DelphiX - but none that I create! Very frustrating!

Scooter911
ktobias@sympatico.ca

Hey! I remember having the same problem a long time ago, I think it's somthing to do with version differences in the file you're generating vs. how Delphi X loads the file.

I never figured it out, and eventually dropped using DelphiX for rendering due to bugs, inconsitencies and lack of documentation, and went to using OpenGL. I'm also not too sure how updated the code for DelphiX is.

You might want to check out some alternative libraries, like the Jedi project. They have a translation of the directX 9 libraries there.

Link

Hope this helps!

Also, if you're just getting into 3d graphics w/ Delphi, I'd suggest checking out Sulaco. There's some great stuff on there.

Jakem3s90,

Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not nuts!

I'm not hooked on DelphiX at all, and in fact have purchased a book on OpenGL because it looks promising.

Do you have any sample code using OpenGL that simply loads an .x file and displays it?

Scooter911
ktobias@sympatico.ca

Scooter,

Nope, I don't have any code that'll load an X file and render it using OpenGL, but on Sulaco's site there's quite a few tutorials on loading various file formats and render them using OpenGL including 3DS, OBJ, and Milkshape3d. Just go up to the quick locator drop down at the top of the main site, and go down to File Loaders

I would definitely check those tutorials out, I did, and they helped ALOT.

In the end, I'm using Milkshape3d for my projects, because the editor's cheap, and their ascii file format was easy to work with.

Here's the site again in case you missed it site