3D Programming using GDI?

Started by
19 comments, last by MasoodAlam 19 years, 7 months ago
Is it possible to do 3D programming using only GDI?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by masd
Is it possible to do 3D programming using only GDI?

Possible? Yes. Don't do it though.
Seeing as GDI is considered awfully slow even for simple 2D games, if you're aiming for that I'd move up to OpenGL and/or DirectX at some point.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
I wonder if Microsoft will ever develop a Hardware Accelerated GDI that is as fast as Direct3D or OpenGL.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Can u explain a little, how it is possible? I mean doing 3D programming in GDI... Can u refer any artilce/stuff about it?
There are a few 3D games using just GDI.

You basically have to program your own engine though. There are no premade calls to matrices, vertices, etc.

Just know lots, and lot of math. Honestly, I'd suggest for anyone interested in programming 3D to make their own 3D engine at least once, without OpenGL or D3D. Learn how to calculate everything, learn how to filter, etc.
Quote:Original post by masd
Can u explain a little, how it is possible? I mean doing 3D programming in GDI... Can u refer any artilce/stuff about it?

we just had a discussion about this. basically, to do it with GDI you'd want to use a device dependent "bitmap", and calculate the rendering yourself. at the end you would only call BitBlt, so it wouldn't involve GDI all that much at all.

here's a link to a good Vesa page. outdated as it is, it will expose you to 3D concepts like shading.
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
Quote:Original post by sakky
I wonder if Microsoft will ever develop a Hardware Accelerated GDI that is as fast as Direct3D or OpenGL.

That makes no sense.
Quote:Original post by MetaCipher
Quote:Original post by sakky

That makes no sense.
See Windows Graphics Foundation.
Hehe, a friend:

kanzure: Microsoft - "That makes perfect sense."
There is a good example on codeguru.com that draws a cube and rotates it, Also shows a basic engine to perform the task.

<<http://www.codeguru.com/Csharp/Csharp/cs_misc/graphicsandimages/article.php/c8185/>>
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement