Sign in to follow this  
Woodsman

1.#QNAN00

I've tried googling it, checking mine and the online MSDN as well as searching the forums here, but I've found nothing on what "1.#QNAN00" means with respect to a floating point value. It seems awfully familiar. I'm generating single precision floats, and occasionally a function call to a 3rd party library evaluates to "1.#QNAN00" I'm not sure yet whether this is a problem or not, as I'm not even sure what it is. Any help?

It's a text representation of "Quiet NaN" (Not a Number), which basically means that your result is ... not a number. Operations which yields results which aren't reals (e.g. square root of a negative number, infinity minus infinity ...) will yield a NaN.

See the IEEE 754 standard on floating point numbers.

Hmm, ok. I saw the "NaN" when googling, but wasn't sure what that was. That's rather unfortunate as I'm giving the library numbers and its yielding NaN's... That's not very useful to me if I can't use the result.

Thanks both of you.

Actually, is there a standard way of testing for this, or must I resort to some crafty bit examination? I'm running across "-1.#IO" now as well, which is helping NaN to totally screw up my results. In fact, it just occured to me that I don't think you can & floating point values...

[Edited by - Woodsman on September 20, 2004 10:38:20 AM]

Quote:
Original post by petewood
what's the library? are you giving it good data?

It's a physics library (which I am acceptably destabilizing initially). If it says that I've broken something (as it is doing I believe, with these return values) I'd like to be able to keep track of that.