Sign in to follow this  
capn_midnight

number grid puzzles

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the sliding tile puzzle in which you attempt to reorganize the tiles into sequential order. So, given some initial board state:
you can arrive at some goal board state:
4 5
I have 3 heuristics for solving this problem, but they are based on the assumption that not all random arrangements of number tiles have a solution (that is, if you were to mix the numbers by removing the tiles from the board and relaying them, not by sliding them). But I have no proof, and my AI professor does not agree. Is it true/is there a proof?

It is correct that not all permutations have a solution. The board

1 2 3
4 5 6
8 7

does not have a two-dimensional or non-destructive solution. In fact, someone once sold those puzzles promising a ridiculously high reward for a solution. I think there is a proof, but I don't know where to look for it.

Nilsson demonstrates that there are two disjoint subsets of configurations of the 8-puzzle. For example, the following cannot be solved.

8 7 6
5 4 3
2 1 -

(transformed into:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 -

)

See Nilsson, N.J. "Problem-solving Methods in Artificial Intelligence", McGraw-Hill, 1971. (page 6).

hi... i'm still very new in ai.. currently i'm learning how to implement sliding tile puzzle in java... could anyone please help? i need to get some tutorials and example code or program(if possible).. thanks in advance...

calvinc

Quote:
Original post by calvinc
hi... i'm still very new in ai.. currently i'm learning how to implement sliding tile puzzle in java... could anyone please help? i need to get some tutorials and example code or program(if possible).. thanks in advance...

calvinc
it's easiest to implement as an NxN array, N being the dimensions of your grid.