Freetype2 : how to generate UNICODE characters ? (and 8859-xx if possible)

Started by
7 comments, last by Neyna 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, here is a little problem I have. I follow the nehe's lesson 43 on freetype2 font and openGL, non problem. Now in my engine i can draw texts. But my question is : how to generate the unicode character, or better some iso 8859-xx ? Because with nehe's tutorial we generate the 127 ASCII characters. I looked in the freetype2 doc, but i didn't found it, and i didnt found it on the web using google too. Any help will be really appreciated. Neyna. [Edited by - Neyna on September 21, 2004 3:39:06 AM]
Advertisement
Hi,

i will explain a bit more : i'd like to render character like é,è and € (euro). I mean all non ASCII characters. Unicode will be good, and iso-8895-xx will be the best.

thxs for your time.

Neyna
Quote:Original post by Neyna
i will explain a bit more : i'd like to render all non ASCII characters. Unicode will be good, and iso-8895-xx will be the best.

I can't think of any reason why not, but I don't think I have ever seen a font file containing the entire of unicode (by my calculations, wouldn't it be 10+ megabytes?). It would be great for multiple language support, though it would probably slow your game right down.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Thxs for your answer.

Maybe all the unicode can do 10Mb .. But i'm not sure.

I have one font file (example Arial.ttf under windows or linux with openoffice) for french characters. And its not big.
I think there are font file for each alphabet (latin, greek, russian, japanese, chinese ...). But i'm not sure again.

Blizzard uses freetype for warcraft3 with all alphabet support.

Does someone knowns how to write charaters other than ASCII ?
I'd like to write some french or german words.

Thank you in advance,

neyna
There's always Arial-UNI.ttf (or similar), 28ish MB iirc. Should be on your Windows CD. ( or just Google for Arialuni )

I used that a while back when implementing Unicode support in my engine.

A good way to handle Unicode strings is UTF-8, I suggest you google for that and use converters to/from UTF-8 to use together with FreeType.

Best of luck!
Hi,

thank you for your answer.

So i need a unicode version of arial for exemple. ok.

Yes UTF-8 is for unicode. What do you mean by converter? Do i need a C lib to handle string in UTF-8 format? or something like that?
(My engine is in C++, in my memory Java use unicode for the representation of its strings, whereas C uses ASCII.)

I ll search immédiatly on google for converters for UTF-8.

Thxs

neyna
What i see is that arial unicode is for windows.
But i think freetype is a standard. (I hope so)

Will it work under linux too? my engine must be croos platform (and i am developping under linux)

thxs

neyna
Quote:Original post by Neyna
What i see is that arial unicode is for windows.
But i think freetype is a standard. (I hope so)

Will it work under linux too? my engine must be croos platform (and i am developping under linux)

thxs

neyna

The font file "Arial Unicode" can be used under other platforms as well, it isn't bound to Windows, it just happens to be shipped with recent versions of Windows and Office.

I'm not sure wether it's free for use in commercial applications, however. If that's an issue for you, you could always get fonts from here: NonGnu.org (or via Debian: apt-get install ttf-freefont)

Freetype is integrated into newer version of XFree86, so I doubt it won't work under linux ;)

This might be of help to you, considering the multi-platform nature of SDL: SDL_ttf

UTF-8 is a way to represent a Unicode string, you might need converters to/from ASCII/Unicode to use it in your engine. However, that doesn't seem to be a concern with SDL_ttf; so you might want to give that a try. (definatively if you're already using SDL for platform independency)

Best of luck!
Hi,

we are many developpers ont this project.
I merge with a friend which did a good cross platform application kernel with 3D sound, voice over IP, full network ( like multicast, IPv6..), custom rendering (openGL or directx)...
I am responsible for the 3D part of the engine, and before i merge with him, i was using SDL for my engine. And i had a look to SDL_ttf , but i never test it.

For the arial provided by microsoft, it has to be non free I think. What I need is an unicode font which is free of charge and not under the GPL licence. We still don't know which licence we will set for our project. We use only LGPL librairies as the moment like openAL or freetype2.
So I will look at font at nonGnu.org (and i develop under debian ;p i have only one PC with windows to test it under this platform )
What i need is a font under a licence such as MIT or libpng.

Quote:
UTF-8 is a way to represent a Unicode string, you might need converters to/from ASCII/Unicode to use it in your engine.

Ok i will look for one converter.

Quote:
However, that doesn't seem to be a concern with SDL_ttf; so you might want to give that a try.

We don't use SDL anymore... I was the only one to want to use it. But now, why not only use one part of SDL ?
But i think i'll look into some source code from ttf libs to see how it's possible to do unicode. But when i looked into sdl_ttf or FTGL i never see something about unicode.

Thank you again for ur answer

Neyna

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement