Visual Basic

Started by
7 comments, last by Mushu 19 years, 7 months ago
hey, can anyone give me an idea of an example program you can make with VB6
Advertisement
It'd help if you supplied an idea of the sort of stuff you're interested in?

You can make many different kinds of applications, even games with DirectX support.
how about an encryption program, encrypts text you enter with a key. Or a ASCII->Binary converter? Always fun!

Have made both in VB, they're not hard to do and you end up with a full program which u can add as much polish to as you want.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Are you looking for ideas for a project, or wondering about the capabilities of VB?

shmoove
Just about anything. Games, client/server applications, utilities like anti-virus programs, etc.

You might be better off asking, what types of programs you can't make with VB (or most other languages like C++, Java, Delphi, etc).
You could make a tic tac toe program - should be fairly easy, and cover things from event handling to ui to coding.
Here's some screenshots from stuff done in VB6 with DX8 (by me [lol])

PARABOLIC PROJECTILE MOTION:

(eww..) This one is the "Simon" game that I wrote in VB.NET with button controls. Ick. I hate .NET

This is a particle engine I did. I have better screenshots with the particles looking cleaner, but I'm not going to bother to upload them.

Oh - this was a Skifree variant I wrote for a tech demo. It involves a tank avoiding trees. Pretty basic.

This is a 3D asteroids game I wrote.

This is a heightmap + linelist grass demo I wrote... (I wonder if this is the final screen? If it has stars in the sky then it is)... EDIT: I uploaded the new one because I felt shamed over the old screen [tear].

And finally, this is my current project as of several weeks ago...

You only run into problems in VB when you try to do things like multithreading, bumpmaps, etc., but in all honesty if you're just starting you probably won't need that for a *long* time. And even then there's ways around them [wink].

So, good luck!

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...
hey,
i was wondering what are the gaming capabilities and how do you applie the "visual" part into your games.
also what in you opinion is the best beginner book for VB6
Direct X.

You may have a hard time finding a book, though, because most DirectX books are tailored to C++.

I'd suggest Jack Hoxley's articles on the subject. He also has a site, www.directx4vb.com, but for some reason I can't get onto it. Ergo, won't bother to make that a clicky. [razz]

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement