Bringing Texture into Maya 5.0

Started by
3 comments, last by Permafried- 19 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I've been struggling with this for a couple days now and can't seem to figure out the solution. I've completed my shotgun model and mapped the UV's etc. and am now ready to import the finished texture into Maya. My problem seems to be that when I assign a material to the object (I combined all polys into one at the end) and assign a material, then select the box next to "color" in the attribute editor and select file, I see nowhere that I am given an option to import the texture into Maya. I've tried this in multiple different ways and have had no success. I was hoping someone that has more experience with 3D modelling tools might be able to help me out with this. Thanks in advance, Permafried-
Advertisement
Once you clicked "select file"

You should be in a new window or tabs, and you'll see a big text box, where you can enter the path to your textures.

Make sure your texture is in one of the format Maya can read.
Hey,

That's the strange thing...I'll select "File" from the dialog that appears when I click the option beside Color..but after that I never see any option anywhere to open a file, the File Attributes tab and everything are totally blank.

I'm becoming incredibly discouraged with Maya to say the least ^_^.

Permafried-
1. Open the HyperShade
2. In the top window, select the shader you have mapped to your shotgun.
3. Click the "show upstream/downstream connections" button. It looks like a little box with 2 triangles going into it.
4. In the bottom window, click on the file node and hit "CTRL A" to bring up the attribute editor for that node.
5. Select the file in the menu box.
6. Stick with maya, it rocks.

Also, I suggest you learn to use the "graph materials on selected" function.. it's neat for things like this.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply....I'll save this off in a location where I won't lose it so I can go back to experimenting with Maya once this semester is over. For now I switched over to 3DSMax 6 because I'm really concentrating on coding the engine and game logic for this semester's major DX project...but was in need of models to populate my world ^_^.

I do agree that Maya does so many things well but is definitely a tool I'd need to spend more time using to become familiar with it whereas 3DSMax I jumped in and just started churning out models and therefore decided to stick with it for this project just for the sake of getting the work done and exported so I can get back to client/server coding ^_^.

Thanks again,

Permafried-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement