• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Troublesome

peer to peer server/client for a game

This topic is 5025 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello I think im in over my head here but i gotta give it a shot anyway, ok here goes. I would like to make a peer to peer server/client programe for a old game i play, so i downloaded the directX sdk and started reading 4 hours later im still reading but have learned that i still know nothing exsept that i need to know C++ witch is'nt to bad coz i have use C++ b4. i did a college course about 6 years ago but have'nt use C++ since, so i guess im a little more than rusty. I was hope someone could point me in the right direction or atleast tell me that this would be to hard for a noob and thats what i am right now coz i know nothing and can't remeber anything from collage(Damn that weed) so i would be greatfull for any help even if it is to tell me this project is to big for me but i would really like to give this thing a shot. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
I would review your C++ until you are comfortable with it again. For learning Direct X game programming, a good book might be helpful. I started off with Windows Game Programming for Dummys by Andre LaMothe. My edition is hopelessly outdated now, but I recommend LaMothe's books, if you can find a recent one. He explains things clearly and often offers some good, general-purpose code to give you a head start. Any Direct X programming book will expect you to already know C++ or some other language, however.

I don't actually know anything about network programming, but now since I'm pretty sure that there is Direct X support for network gaming, it will probably be covered, to some extent, in whatever book you find.

Also there are plenty of free Direct X tutorials and reference online.

The DirectPlay component of DirectX can handle your networking needs. I don't have any experience with DirectPlay, but you should be able to find some resources on the net.

But first, as Kelly G has already stated, review your C++.

Cheers,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!