peer to peer server/client for a game

Started by
2 comments, last by mbrennan 19 years, 7 months ago
hello I think im in over my head here but i gotta give it a shot anyway, ok here goes. I would like to make a peer to peer server/client programe for a old game i play, so i downloaded the directX sdk and started reading 4 hours later im still reading but have learned that i still know nothing exsept that i need to know C++ witch is'nt to bad coz i have use C++ b4. i did a college course about 6 years ago but have'nt use C++ since, so i guess im a little more than rusty. I was hope someone could point me in the right direction or atleast tell me that this would be to hard for a noob and thats what i am right now coz i know nothing and can't remeber anything from collage(Damn that weed) so i would be greatfull for any help even if it is to tell me this project is to big for me but i would really like to give this thing a shot. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
I would review your C++ until you are comfortable with it again. For learning Direct X game programming, a good book might be helpful. I started off with Windows Game Programming for Dummys by Andre LaMothe. My edition is hopelessly outdated now, but I recommend LaMothe's books, if you can find a recent one. He explains things clearly and often offers some good, general-purpose code to give you a head start. Any Direct X programming book will expect you to already know C++ or some other language, however.

I don't actually know anything about network programming, but now since I'm pretty sure that there is Direct X support for network gaming, it will probably be covered, to some extent, in whatever book you find.

Also there are plenty of free Direct X tutorials and reference online.
Thanks for the help kelly :)
The DirectPlay component of DirectX can handle your networking needs. I don't have any experience with DirectPlay, but you should be able to find some resources on the net.

But first, as Kelly G has already stated, review your C++.

Cheers,

Michael Brennan, Ph.D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement