game programming courses

Started by
6 comments, last by meh 19 years, 7 months ago
i know my thread has nothing to do with porgramming practicly but i can't find a better place with so many people around the globe that actually know something about this subject, and so maybe they are able to give some advice about game programming courses in colleges, universities and master deegree studies. So what i'm asking is some info on any page in the web that can be helpful in finding information about good universities in the UK and the US or even Germany with game programming courses, software engineering etc. Any help in this subject will be valueable because i'll have to make a decision soon, about where am i going to continue my computer science studies. thanx in advance!
Advertisement
As for game programming advice in school I see that most US state universities have relatively similiar computer science degrees. They cover some assembler, data structures, a form of digital logic, a programming language (you are gonna wanna pick C/C++ for this), linear algebra, discrete mathematics, calc., physics I/II, and a few others. Despite none of these being related to games they all end up playing a large role.

I have never been a fan on a school specifically for making computer games. They being a technical type school you lose out on a broader ammount of information. Also if you can ace all the courses I described above 90% of all game programming problems are a joke.

However, the only problem I see is most schools have some half ass programming courses which are beyond useless. So other than a lack of programming you will have most of the tools at a decent state university. Also! while you go to school program and program so more, even if you games are like pong and suck ass contiously program them until you have such a deep understanding of c/c++ (or whatever language you want) and you, yourself could be a reference manual.
I read an article once and it the author said how he didn't think graduating on a Computer Games Technology course was the right method into getting a consistant job (one that doesn't end in you being sacked within 2 years), he said it's best if you graduate in a computer-related course such as Computer Science and learn game programming in your free time, this will get you a job in an office where you can learn how business works and when and when not to confront a boss. Whilst in this office job, he says to develop a game with a team and then use it in your resume which should get you a consistant job in a game development company.

Remember though, this is only in an article I read, so I cannot guarentee anything what he said is correct, I have no experience in the gaming industry.

Thanks in Advance
TomX
TomX is right. Im on a games tech course in the UK. If I was an employer I would never hire anyone from a games course based on my experience of such courses, unless the applicant had a very strong portfolio of their own work. Then again to be fair most people do this anyway so it might be a moot point :)

So you might aswell do a straight computer science course and learn any extra game programming in your own time. You'll learn more and will keep the option open to jump to other areas of programming later.

the main two unis I know of in the uk that do games are abertay dundee and teeside, although I know there are atleast 5 more I cant think of what they are off the top of my head. Sorry!

ps

either gamasutra or igda had a list of games programming unis. cant remember which though.
The course I have just this week started is Game Software Engineering at Northumbria University. It seems so far like a very good course and the lectures ive talked to have said that they spent alot of time talking to UK game developers about what they look for in applicants when designing the course. They also said that just doing the course is not enough. You need to get a very good pass grade and do alot of work on your own stuff in your own time to give you a better chance of getting into the industry. But its nothing if you dont mine a bit/lot of hard work :)

List of game related UK courses(i think).
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Quote:Original post by Drazgal
TomX is right. Im on a games tech course in the UK. If I was an employer I would never hire anyone from a games course based on my experience of such courses, unless the applicant had a very strong portfolio of their own work. Then again to be fair most people do this anyway so it might be a moot point :)

So you might aswell do a straight computer science course and learn any extra game programming in your own time. You'll learn more and will keep the option open to jump to other areas of programming later.

the main two unis I know of in the uk that do games are abertay dundee and teeside, although I know there are atleast 5 more I cant think of what they are off the top of my head. Sorry!

ps

either gamasutra or igda had a list of games programming unis. cant remember which though.

I'm in the honours year of the same degree. :)

I also couldn't disagree more, I know lots of graduates from the degree who are working in industry with the likes of Sega, EA, SCEE, Rare, Visual Sciences, Real Time Worlds and VIS. I'm not saying everyone who graduates the course is going to get a job but if you have applied yourself both inside and outside uni then you do have at least a chance.

Personally I won a prize with a team in the last Dare to be Digital and have had interest from a number of companies even though I am still at uni.

It can and does work, just not for everyone. I can't say if its better or worse than straight CS having not done both.
You could've disagreed with me more, you could've slapped me and taken my pocket protractor :)

Hell Im not complaining if companies take us seriously and I know there are some great hiring oppotunities (Im doing work for IC CAVE that I wouldn't have had if I didn't come here), but the course is alittle soft.

I mean granted I've only done 2 years on the course but there so far has been very little relavent teaching, (though I don't fault the maths, the maths is great) Id judge that so far just over half the module smacks of filler.

If you are here and are doing your own stuff then its great, lots of free time, 5 hour or less weeks and the library resources are fantasitic, so its a great resource for self learning, I won't fault it there.

However froma teaching perspective, Im paying for 4 years and Im getting 2 if that, stretched over the same length of time.
;)

I always thought the point of a degree WAS self-learning, certainly you can cruise through the years and pass everything but you won't learn much. Teaching staff provide base material, you go off and read around the subject.

Yes, I found the first two years incredibly easy as well but I know many guys who haven't. Mainly as I came into the course knowing quite a bit of programming and all the maths up until 3rd year I covered during my A-Levels. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that they have to teach to the lowest common demoniator (those people who are just going to scrape a pass for whatever reason) and it up to us to reach for new ground. Particularly if we find the module easy.

Plus programming skill is only half the problem, you need good social skills. Plenty of practice to be had in the pubs and clubs! ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement