WAD Resources extractor?

Started by
5 comments, last by TravisWells 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I'm making a doom like game (but in 2D) and I want the Doom resources. I searched this forum and google and found a lot of tools for manipulate Doom's WAD files, but all of them just are WAD -> WAD converters, select resources and create another wad, etc.. I want one that extracts the sounds and bitmaps to a folder, not to another WAD file! Is there one? I need this, otherwise I can't continue on my plans. Thanks Alfred R. Baudisch [Edited by - Maquiavel on September 20, 2004 5:23:35 PM]
Alfred Reinold Baudisch[Game Development Student] [MAC lover] [Ruby, Ruby on Rails and PHP developer] [Twitter]
Advertisement
The only tool I know of for manipulating wad files is Wally which is aimed at Half-Life style wad files so it may not work with the Doom wad format.

Alternatively there's always the option "If you want something doing - do it yourself", a quick search on Wotsit gave the unofficial Doom wad format specs so you could write an extractor yourself.
Thanks Spudder. Wally didn't work for Doom's WAD =(
I'm going to write my own tool.

Cya!
Alfred Reinold Baudisch[Game Development Student] [MAC lover] [Ruby, Ruby on Rails and PHP developer] [Twitter]
if you'll write your own tool, you could look at PhysicsFS which is a virtual filesystem library (zlib license). it provides access to various archives and among others, it supports DOOM WAD files [smile]
well, it's just a thought...
Hey codemonster, thanks so much! This PhysicsFS is perfect!
Quote:Original post by Maquiavel
Hey codemonster, thanks so much! This PhysicsFS is perfect!

you're welcome! i'm glad i could help [smile]
Heh, I wrote the WAD loading code in PhysFS. Small world.
One thing you need to watch out for:
WADs don't make it easy to tell where level data starts and ends. I managed to get it to work by hard coding the generic level-piece names for Doom, Doom 2, and either Hexen or Heretic, I don't remember which.
So if you try to load level resources from a doom-engine game (or anything that uses WAD), it might not work. "flats" and sprites are simpler, so loading them should be no problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement