Freespace Source

Started by
8 comments, last by marijnh 19 years, 6 months ago
Anybody read through this? In the past delving into successful, older games has proved useful, and it's a "fun" way to cure boredom, I guess. I don't really know why I posted this. Please rate me up.
Things change.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Boku San
In the past delving into successful, older games has proved useful, and it's a "fun" way to cure boredom, I guess.

well, it's one of the best ways to learn (from others) and a very good training [smile]
unfortunately most programmers hate reading sources from other partys... poor bastards...

"Talk to other programmers; read other programs. This is more important than any book or training course."
taken from Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years by Peter Norvig

I don't really know why I posted this. Please rate me up.

well, i didnt know the freespace source yet. so... thanks [smile]
Thanks for informing me.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
that source has been out forever....and yes, it is very nifty.

Thanks for informing me too! :)

The code looks a lil bit ugly... I mean I would never code like this.. Hmm!

Is that C or C++?
Anybody read through this? In the past delving into successful, older games has proved useful, and it's a "fun" way to cure boredom, I guess.

I don't really know why I posted this. Please rate me up.
Am I missing something - I was expecting a link to the source of the space game Freespace...?
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1809.asp

linkie to source, thought this was common knowledge...my bad.

EDIT: WHOOPS, my bad...this (http://download.descent-network.com/ddn/sources/freespace2/original/fs2source.exe) is the linkie to a good download. Looks like gamedev's source went doon.
Things change.
Thanks
I was actually able to compile it and set breakpoints and run through the game. That is...if you have the game data files.
-dizzyGame Institute InternPlease rate me. :)
You can also make it run with the data files from the demo. I got the SDL port and amazingly enough I got it to compile and run on my FreeBSD system with only a little hassle (some errors in the code). Most of the code seemed UGLY though, filled with functions that are no longer used, commented out parts, and just plain weird stuff. If you were to apply the principle of least astonishment to it ... well I was astonished all the time while reading through it! ("They do what!? Call a timer function from inside a square root function!? Hey, why are vectors of three floats and vectors of 3 ints stored in the same data type? Hey, these two functions and that macro do the same thing, I wonder which one is actually used ... (check) oh they are all used at different places, how convenient." etc)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement