Anything besides XMMS?

Started by
28 comments, last by DarkHamster 19 years, 6 months ago
The more I use XMMS the more I realize it's junk. WinAmp can play just about anything you throw at it, but XMMS can't even figure out how to play files that don't have the right extension. This is Linux, right? Extensions optional? I don't suppose anyone knows of a different Winamp clone that works better, do they?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
You can try Beep Media Player.

It is a fork off XMMS, originally just to get to GTK-2. Dont know that it will solve your problems though.

Anyway, it's open source, you could always add your own file detection stuff instead of bitching.
GQMpeg is okay too. GQMpeg

I don't really know what your problem with XMMS is -- it plays just about everything. SHN, MP3, OGG, MOD, S3M, etc.
Let me look into my crystal ball, you are a RedHat user?

Seriously, the canned distro's don't provide a "full" build of xmms; RedHat in particular doesn't include .mp3 support (out-of-the-box) due to patent/legal/royalty issues.

mplayer is another option, though it's designed to be a movie player it will play audio as well. I think xmms better for this though.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
"Extensions optional" doesn't mean that programs can magically guess file types. It just means that the third to last character in the filename does not have to be a dot. So, to answer your question, yes, a lot of programs in Linux will still rely on the last couple characters of a filename to determine what it is, instead of looking at the first couple bytes of the file.
I don't mind Zinf.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Quote:Original post by Xetrov
You can try Beep Media Player.

Wow, that's nice! The new GTK interface, at least. It still has the same file detection problems XMMS does. It just seems silly that it can't look at the first few bytes and go "hmmm, RIFF, why, this looks like a wav!"

I'll give the others a look too when I have more time. I'm using Debian, btw.
I like the DARK layout!
Give JuK for KDE a try. It's a simple iTunes style interface which is very easy to use and is great for setting up playlists. I don't know if you agree, but I think Winamp/XMMS have terrible user interfaces. They've both got lots of tiny little buttons you can barely see or click and the playlist management is awful.
I have written my own music player, it's like Juk but with a IDEAl style UI (like KDevelop). I've kept it simple, just the features I needed (tag editor, playlist manager, monitors directories for new music files, a drag n drop playqueue so you can easily select what you wanna hear next without having to create a playlist for one occasion). All it needs is a decent icon (I'm no artist).

"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
I like wxMusik, but rhythmbox/amarok are good for gnome/kde (muine would be good, but it uses mono, so it doesn't work to great if you use nptl)

Xmms is made a lot better by the mplayer plugin for it though (there are 2, one crashes all the time, one works)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement