• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Anything besides XMMS?

This topic is 4967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:

As opposed to looking at the last three characters of the name? =)

Look at what you just wrote. You just said why it's bad--you're encoding type information in the file's name.

Advertisement
Quote:

File extensions are useful for people though

Taking the type information of a file out of the file name doesn't mean you won't be able to see it. Take the size of a file, in most file managers you can set it so that it's displayed underneath the name. Infact, many file managers already allow you to see what type a file is without looking at the extension by using different icons for different types of files.

Quote:
Original post by bytecoder
Taking the type information of a file out of the file name doesn't mean you won't be able to see it. Take the size of a file, in most file managers you can set it so that it's displayed underneath the name. Infact, many file managers already allow you to see what type a file is without looking at the extension by using different icons for different types of files.

My "file manager" doesn't do that though (it's called bash, btw ;-))

As a little aside, what players are there that I can use to listen to streaming radio off the internet? I've tried to compile Amarok, but wasn't succesfull (I'm a linux-noob, and I'm at a university computer, so I can't just install everything (however, I do have 'root' access)).

meh. I really dislike xmms. It takes forever to load a song (that's assuming it doesn't stop responding in the process). I've never had to use ps -A and kill as much as when I use xmms. I like kaboodle, but it's really ugly.

Quote:
Original post by bytecoder
If you use gnome, I recommend rhythmbox. I guess you could describe it as more of an iTunes clone than a winamp clone, but it's still pretty nice.

Definitely seconded, RhythmBox is truly an awesome piece of code. Makes it simple to browse your library (by genre, artist and/or album), and has a very uncluttered interface. Totally rocking.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!