Sign in to follow this  
Yamian

Where do I go now???

Okay, I know the basic of C++ from the book Beginning C++ Game Programming. I know what I need next is and API and people have suggested SDL but I can't find any that just make any sense to me. What my plan is learn SDL then OpenGL with SDL and I tried cone3D but it just confused me and when I was done I felt like I missed so much. Is the book Focus on SDL any good and will the knowledge obtained from an OpenGL book make sense when using OpenGL in SDL? I like books because you can take them anywhere, so someone please suggest a course of books for SDL and OpenGL or a really good website other than cone3D

It really depends on what you intend to do.
While SDL by itself may be useful for simple tetris-style 2d games, I find the SDL drawing code is overly complicated, and not particularly suited to this.
But when you add OpenGL into the mix, SDL really comes into its own, as a cross-platform windowing and input library, and OpenGL makes, IMHO, a better drawing API.

So my suggestion is just to learn enough about SDL to create and destroy an OpenGL window, and receive mouse and keyboard input, and learn OpenGL for graphics.

Also, if you are running Windows, you could just learn Windows API and DirectX, which sacrifices cross-platform for what some people say is a better system.