• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Yamian

OpenGL Some decission help

This topic is 5138 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I want to learn OpenGL hands down but it only supports graphics, right? If I were to learn OpenGL, what should I use for sound and input and what-not. I've heard SDL but I can't find any tutorials that when I'm done make me feel like I know nothing. Should I learn OpenGL then DirectInput and DirectSound or is there a really good tutorial other than cone3d that can teach me SDL?

Advertisement
What about input, like keyboard, mouse, joystick. What should I use for those. Also, with cross platform stuff, is OpenGL like SDL where the source code for the different platforms is the same you just have to compile it differently?

On Windows you can either use DirectInput or the built-in win32 functions. Depending on the game the latter may be sufficient; if you have for example a fast action game using the mouse or a joystick then DI is probably better.

Keep looking for SDL tutorials, it's probably the easiest way to get started, since it wraps everything into one library. Don't give up, keep poking away at it and you'll figure it out eventually :)

Yes, GL is cross-platform, SDL uses OpenGL for graphics. Basically there will be some platform-specific initialization etc. but the actual drawing code will be the same. DirectInput/DirectSound are of course Windows-only.

i recommend using sdl for everything input/sound (opengl fits in very nicely with sdl). im using it.
aint there any tutorials at the sdl website? about using input joysticks sound, i cant remember,

Will SDL work on game consoles? Will OpenGL work on Game Consoles? Is the syntex for OpenGL in SDL the same or similar? Would learning OpenGL from a book help me learn OpenGL in SDL?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!