Visual Basic?

Started by
13 comments, last by JMgamer88 23 years, 6 months ago
"sai-yai-yai!"-psyduck
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt
Advertisement
VB Rocks (Flame away, I might as well say computers are for idiots =)
Anyway, my reasoning: (Comparing to C++)
10x easier: Lets face it, it is so simple to do simple stuff, it just isn''t funny. So many repetive tasks have been simplified.

90% as fast (ie 10% slower): Yes, it is slower than C++, probably more than 10% for 3d, but the point is that you will find creating it takes a lot less time, and is easier, and is just plain fun (not that C++ isn''t necessarily fun). When it comes to 2d, VB kicks C++, there is almost no speed difference but it is 2x as easy to write.
And contrary to the common (and previously true) belief, VB is no longer an Interpreted language, as of VB6, you can now compile to Native Code and there are a few advanced optimisations and stuff you can use to speed it up from there.

Don''t say you can''t do much with VB, that really annoys me, VB can do basically everything that C++ can. I say basically because I can''t think of anything off the top of my head, but some guru probably can. But I''ve written full games in VB, and other people have, and are, and they have success. So what exactly couldn''t you do (Anon Poster)?

VB is new in the field right now, you will probably see/hear more of it soon (my prediction - note, all my predictions are false =). Microsoft has seen its power, otherwise, DirectX wouldn''t have native VB support. I have seen its power, otherwise I''d be using C++.

Did I forget anything?

(Flame away. But be polite, this is a family production =)

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Well, Direct3D through VB is actually about ten times slower than C++. I've run these tests myself just to sample it. (I'm a dedicated VB user.) Also, VB does not support true inheritence, which really is a shame.

But I hear MS is changing this in VB7. I can't wait!

Edited by - Tom on October 7, 2000 11:40:51 AM

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

quote: Original post by JonStelly

If you decide to learn C++ *a complex language, I don't think that _I_ would have had the focus needed to learn it at 13* pick up a book called "Object Oriented Programming in C++" by the waite group. Great book if you work through all of the tutorials.

It's not impossible to learn C++ when you're 13 (I did), but you need a lot of commitment and focus (as you said)... You probably need a lot more commitment to learn C++ than to learn VB. With VB, you see results almost immediatly (drag a control to the form, and voíla), but with C++ you need like 200 lines of code just to get a window on the screen

If it makes perfect sense to stay with C++, then do so.

Edited by - Muzzafarath on October 7, 2000 4:09:46 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
How do you get that book "learning object oriented programming in C++"?
"There is no speed limit in the pursuit of excellence"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement