Open source code

Started by
10 comments, last by bytecoder 19 years, 7 months ago
this thread made me want to start reading opensource games source code to learn things. So do you guy recommend any code to read?
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Advertisement
There's always Quake ...
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Look at Quake and Quake II. The guys at ID give you everything. The code itself isn't very clean and may not be the best way from a software engineering standpoint. For example, once I saw a function in Q2 that used a different coordinate system than the rest of the game. It mixed the order of a coordinate triplet (XYZ).. I don't know what the rest of the program did with that function, but it worked. No reason as to why it was written like that either. That's the beauty of it.. if you can figure out what ugly working code does, you can figure out what clean working code does.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
here are a few links...

Catmother
Elite Force 2
RuneSword
OpenParsec
Duke Nukem 3D
Descent 1
Descent 2
...and, last but not least, Quake 1-3

Quake is always a good start... [smile]
Cool thanks.

Im the OP.
Wowzers, I didn't know that EF2 was Open Source. Also, I'm not sure if it's been recommended yet (half-assed reading at work), but Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory seems very clean, and it's open source.
Things change.
Golgotha gives you a really good idea of how the file structure of a commercial product is put together. Some of the makefiles used are awfully Linux-centric but you should be able to get an idea.
Hey, dont forget Microsoft 'Allegiance'...
http://research.microsoft.com/research/allegiance/
Quote:Original post by Boku San
Also, I'm not sure if it's been recommended yet (half-assed reading at work), but Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory seems very clean, and it's open source.

ah, thanks [smile] i totally forgot about that!

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Clicky
and you probably want to check out this site. it's a small list of open sourced commercial games which includes direct downloads of games like Descent 1+2, No One Lives Forever, Quake 1-3, Abuse, Allegiance, Wolfenstein, Battle Of Britain, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Golgotha, Homeworld, Raven, Rise Of The Triad, Wolfenstein... this should keep everyone busy for a while [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement