Redundant state changes

Started by
1 comment, last by joanusdmentia 19 years, 7 months ago
Just curious what sort of performance impact redundant state changes have? For example, if I were to bind texture A, render some vertices, bind texture A again and render some more, would a state change actually happen on the second binding?
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Advertisement
It's left up to the driver to decide. All drivers I know of currently do NOT check for redundant state changes. If your code organization is such that you have uncontrolled state changes with no idea of what's actually changing and what isn't, you may want to do client-side checking for redundancies if your framerate is too low.
Checking for redundant changes will be fairly easy, I just thought I'd check if it was even necessary first.

Thanks.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement