Suggest a language...

Started by
14 comments, last by Flarelocke 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm going to be involved in creating a rather large program with a lot of user interaction through dialogs and a lot of dependence on database information. We're trying to figure out what would be the best language for the job. A port to Linux may also be in the future since this application will have a server side component.
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
Advertisement
If you choose C# you can use SharpDevelop to code it and use dotGNU or Mono on Linux to run the assembly.
Java, probably.
It has the cross-platform VM and windowing libs.

Same reason for C#, but C# is newer and less completly supported.

Or you could write rockin' C++ code and modularize the OS-specific code out.

*shrug*

I'd say Java, honestly.
~V'lionBugle4d
I'd probably lean towards Java as well, solely because of the lacking Windows.Forms support of Mono (don't know about dotGNU though). If you don't mind using a different windowing system (such as GTK#, it's cross-platform) then I'd say C#.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Use a language that all the developers are reasonably familiar with.

If you're going to learn new languages to do a job then I'd suggest Python.
VisualWorks Smalltalk
"Delphi"
Well, I'm already fairly familiar with wxWindows, it works a lot like the Win32 API's, but can run on a variety of platforms and has wrappers for C++ and Python.

I've also worked with Java/Swing in the past (around 1.3 beta).

C#, I've been told, is really easy to work with, but it might work against me to distribute something that has to be on Windows. I thought I had also read that Mono could be shut down at anytime by MS, since they own the language.

Two questions though:

1. Will Java be fast enough for quick user interaction?

2. Why is Python so good? I've been hearing a lot about it.
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
I'd suggest using Python. As someone else mentioned, you can use wxPython for GUI and the python db api for database access. accessing a mysql db in python is extremely simple:

import MySQLdb as db
con = db.connect(host='myhost', user='me', passwd='mypasswd', db='mydbase')
cur = con.cursor()
cur.execute('select * from users where clue > 0')
results = cur.fetchall()

Quite recently a friend of mine was trying to write a database program in C++. I told him 'Learn Python, I learned it in 2 days and it's excellent'. He learned python and then thanked me for how easily he had accomplished his task with it :)

eof
Quote:Original post by subnet_rx
I thought I had also read that Mono could be shut down at anytime by MS, since they own the language.

They don't own the language: it is standardised. I'm sure they're very happy with Mono as it proves how open and nice they are.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft but don’t believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement