Sign in to follow this  
Prozak

Vertex Colors - You use those?

Using normals for lighting, and textures, I see no use for vertex colors, and I paint all models as rgb(1,1,1). What uses do Vertex Colors have? Can we pre-calculate the lighting on a map, and apply the resuting shadows to the maps' vertex colors, for example? What about Shaders, the color attribute is a nice place to send further info down into the pipeline, for the shader to crunch... What other possible uses?

Wellll...... there's a few things you can use it for. You can use it as a quick-n-dirty way of modulating textures to make it look like people are wearing customized clothing, though there are better ways to accomplish it. You can use it for lighting effects, but normally the sort of geometry that needs custom lighting modulation (walls) doesn't have enough vertices to produce a good-looking modulation. You can use it for objects too minor to warrant any sort of texture at all. Mostly, however, I see it used as a means of attaching random tonal information to vertices for use in shaders. (For attaching floating point numbers, texture coordinates are more common.)