Which Game Engine is best suited for my plan?

Started by
4 comments, last by sgt spoon 19 years, 7 months ago
Ive written a plan for a rts game which will use a free/cheap game engine. But sadly enough i don't have too much knowledge on the situation of existing game engines. Heres the deal - its an rts game which if i had to name a game it was closest to id have to say Warcraft 3 Im not too worried about graphics, altho i would enjoy semi-decent ones. Im more concerned about networking, and multiplayer capabilties. So it needs at least tcp/ip mulitplayer. Id prefer a free engine, altho i will pay up to $1000nz for one if need be. Order of importance - networking, built in world editor, easiness of use, average graphics, 3d sound, physics. Ive had a look at devmaster.net for a list of Game Engines, and ive decided that the following may be appropriate - *kjAPI *Reality Factory *Nebula 2 *Xeonx So, which one would best suit me, or is there more that i have not listed that might be better. NB - I am an advanced beginner of C++ if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
I would suggest adding the Torque Game Engine and 3D Game Studio to your list.

Both are in the Devmaster database and have demo versions available. Unfortunately, they both also cost money (but not silly amounts of it).

If possible, download all of those engines (or demo versions thereof) and compare them for yourself. Even if you and I were creating a very similar game, our priorities would likely differ greatly.
Torque is probably what you want, it costs $100 for an indie license which allows you to sell your game anywhere you want so long as you don't make over $250,000 off the game. There is also a commercial license with no restrictions. Torque is a tested and proven engine with many years of development under it's belt and a large community. It has everything you need to create your own game (world editor, gui editor, mission editor, etc). Torque was used to create Tribes 2.

-neurokaotix
And Torque will soon have an add-on pack for RTS games. It will likely cost a bit more on top of the basic Torque license, but that's still cheap.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
Why not much make a mod for Warcraft 3? and use there engine, it seem to have everything you want.
====Funvill[Home|Tiny xml|Boost|Wiki|STL]====================
Quote:Original post by funvill
Why not much make a mod for Warcraft 3? and use there engine, it seem to have everything you want.

Well i actually have, well almost....we made the models and i done scripting, but it just wouldn't allow for what i wanted, i couldn't really edit the gui etc.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion of Torque, ive heard about it and il have a look into it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement