whats next for games?

Started by
27 comments, last by wilhil 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi I was just thinking last night what is next for games, and now I have woken up I am posting it! All the days back when I used to play sonic the hedgehog on the old console I always said, "i wish this was 3d" "i wish the graphics were better" but at the same time I didnt really care because it was a great game! then the wave of 3d games start! although I am sure there was basic 3d before then like the linear or whatever it is called but I cant remember the exact name.. or the order they came in anyway then we hit the wave of good 3d games like halflife 1 which to be honest is very very good, but not the best and there are little things that you thought i wish i could do this. anyway, now we are going to the new wave of advanced 3d gaming, halflife 2, doom 3, and others although i beleive these are the best (ithink... sorry if i am wrong) anyway, the graphics in these games are amazing, reflections look real in mirrors and shiny surfaces e.t.c. I just cant imagine how the actuall 3d graphics could look better. the only thing i can think of is better science engine where you could have chemicals coming out of pipes... chemicals could mix with others from other pipes, flamable, inflamable, and more... chemical reactions occuring, magnets on games... ive seen basic float sink and how it looks good on halflife, but imagine the ability to put in to a bowl of water some liquid metal, or iron filings... basically something like murcury (cant remember if it is magnetic or not) then putting a magnet to the side of the water and watch it move in the water, then move the magnet over and watch it move... even one day maybe have it so advanced so you could do the old science classroom thing and do electrolysis in a game! Untill i actually saw it i never even thought about anything like doom 3 where the interactive panels look so good! but as i said, i just dont see how graphics can get much better, only science... i didnt call it physics because it is all around sceince.. anyway, what is your oppinions? also I am sorry for any spelling mistakes, i tried my best this time!
>wilhil<
Advertisement
interactive olfactory sensation

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
iSmell!
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
iSmell!

Indeed!

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

after how long it took me to type that up, doesnt anyone have any more points to make!? I am really intrested in hearing what other hae to say on this topic
>wilhil<
What I'd like to start seeing are games that are somewhat different each time you play them. You can already find this in certain types of games, but I'd like to extend it to others. Take adventure games for example. Each time you play through it, the puzzles will be the same so the difficulty will be fairly easy and the story line will the same (unless you forget things). I think it would be interesting if the story changed each time you played, and puzzles weren't quite the same. The replay value would be so much better.
I'd like to see games that don't require you to be so ingrained in the current trends of the video game industry to be able to enjoy the games that follow.

It doesn't matter what's in tomorrow's game as long as it stirs the imagination, opens up possibilities, and is fun to play.

As for the best way to do that, I have no answers. If you're wanting to make money, well, there are lots of ways to do that with a video game (sequels, sexy characters, show off hardware). But making a video that is an actual masterpiece, now that's an accomplishment, and doesn't depend on any of those things.

That might not be what tomorrow's games will be like, but that's what they should be like.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Quote:Original post by wilhil
after how long it took me to type that up, doesnt anyone have any more points to make!? I am really intrested in hearing what other hae to say on this topic
I honestly don't know what to say in response, because, to be blunt (as respectfully as I can be), it doesn't sound like you know much about what is involved in developing games, and thus my first inclination is to just skip the post. However, to try to offer something: For one, the chemical simulations you focused on would be way to much for an average computer currently, and for the next quite a few years probably, especially if the rest of the game had to be running with high-end graphics, physics, and AI at the same time. Secondly, I highly doubt that adding various chemical simulations and similar things to a game would increase its gameplay much. They might be some nice details to add to games further down the road when we have a lot more processor power, more capable and flexible GPUs, and some nice libraries already written to do much of the work. But there are much cheaper, easier, and more doable things that we can do right now to make games more interesting. You didn't want to focus on physics too much, but that's a very important thing in my opinion, at least in our typical 3D games, because often times, poor or limited physics is a huge factor in breaking the suspension of disbelief. That, along with graphics and AI.

And being the small-time hobbyist type, I often prefer the idea of focusing on game-play to bring about suspension of belief rather than trying to make it look, feel, and act real. If I become familiar enough with a strategy or RPG game that contains a lot of abstract elements in it that don't relate to real-life in any meaningful way, and if it's fun enough, then I end up getting sucked into the abstract world, and for a time, that is "reality" to me. That's what I like to focus on.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Quote:Original post by wilhil

I was thinking more along the lines of "it took you a long time to type THAT out"? I mean, if it were 3000 words or something, I'd feel the pity :D
sorry to sound bad!

I am not a big game developer, i am not a big programmer... I am simply a descent player and make simple games myself.

as a player i am just trying to tell a few things, and this is basically what i think as a everyday person... as i said i just dont know how games could get better.

the chemistry/gas thing as stated and i agree is pretty usless in games, but i was just trying to make a point.

sorry if you took this post this wrong way anyone.

and when i said took me ages to type, it didnt take that long! just longer than my usual ones!
>wilhil<

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement