How do you program for PS2?

Started by
3 comments, last by Ravuya 19 years, 7 months ago
I was wondering If I could write a program, burn it to a cd/dvd, and then play it on a PS2. Is this possible?
Advertisement
from what i've heard, you can but it's mighty difficult to program for, even with the homebrew stuff.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

The best way for a hobby developer to create games for the ps2 is to get a Linux for PS2 Dev Kit. You need your own PS2 as well.

The only caveat is that you're game will only work on other systems that have the dev kit as well. I believe you can play them on modded ps2's, but I have no idea of the legality of that.

Well, another caveat is that you won't have access to _all_ of the ps2's abilities. The dev kit is watered down for the hobby developer.

I would say check out the link, and then do some searches on google. Maybe it's what you're looking for, maybe it's not.

- heap
GameDave has 2 articles about using the DevKit for Linux - PS2 Game Programming I and PS2 Game Programming II
Quote:Original post by ontheheap
The only caveat is that you're game will only work on other systems that have the dev kit as well. I believe you can play them on modded ps2's, but I have no idea of the legality of that.

Doesn't look like it. There are several efforts to get there, and some that are promising, but none that have broken free of the requirements of having an HDD with the Linux kit and the Linux kit memory card.

If you want the Linux dev kit, it is out of production and out of stock in North America, and so cannot be ordered in the US from Sony's website. Keep an eye out on Google.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement