Sign in to follow this  
Sir Sapo

Our SDL Game

My classmates and I are making a historically accurate WWII Flying Game using SDL as our renderer and our teacher wants us to get some outside critiques of how it looks graphically, here is a screenshot of it. The ScreenShot

The link is broken, you need to put http:// in front of it.

I am not quite sure how you're going to be able to make it historically accurate. The planes for example are a little bit too small to be identifiable. (Actually, I can't think of any WWII planes with a wing and fuselage shaped like that... google for some pictures of something well-known like the Spitfire or P-51 Mustang. the wings on both are fairly distinctive even in a small pic like that). I suppose you could set up the units like some historic battle...

Also, I'd suggest you put more dots near the edges of the sand bitmap. Right now you can see kind of a border on the left and right where it's just plain yellow. That makes the tiling a lot more visible.

Ok! Right, my opinion is that graphically it looks fine. The most important thing is that you have a decent amount of contrast and the important things stand out from the background. You might want to draw a shadow a small distance below the planes to give them the illusion of height.

Looks good. I would suggest that if you are going for historically correct to find out what the terrain was like in the various theaters of war and match the aircraft to that theme. i.e. you wouldn't see an F6F Hellcat in the desert.