Sign in to follow this  
Brinstar

Remake of Metroid

A couple friends and I, are planning to remake the Metroid NES game. WE NEED HELP!!!!! we are using Visual C++...should we also use SDL,OPENGL, or directX...... please any help or ideas.. post back or via e-mail Suspenders_away@hotmail.com

I'm guessing that you've never made a game of this size before. Firstly I really must recommend shelfing the metroid clone, and making some simpler games first and then coming back to it.

But to answer your question, for ease of use I would use SDL. It provides sound, input and GFX facilities and is really easy to learn. If you have never done 3D work before then don't bother with openGL. As for DirectX, I wouldn't recommend making a game with it if you've never used it before, it takes a lot of getting used to.

Thanx... I figured we would kind of make like a demo of sorm sort, like in super metroid in the beginning.. when you need the metroid sample and fight ridley...any more help....on ideas plz reply or e-mail

suggestions:
1) first draw up a plan (normally called a design document) of what you are going to use, graphics, how you want it to play, etc (game-related stuff).

2) if this is your first group project and first game programming (and seeing you asked a question such as what API do i use?) i would suggest SDL or Allegro. it doesn't matter which one, just pick.

3) you can have a game similar to Metroid but it can't be Metroid. no Samus Aran, no Mother Brain, no Zebes(?) Pirates, no Metroids. but you can have look alikes, variants, or different characters with the same colors, but not the same design!.

4) make sure you flesh out an idea to present to other people you want to help you. clearly state what you need and where you are with the project. help comes easier that way.

5) enjoy! cuz it'll be a few months before you get near to finishing. [smile]

I need help on finding good tutorials or examples in this type of game feild.... Like making graphics putting in sound......moving the character ..Artificial intelegence you know the works... I just need some huge help on that part with TUtorials and examples so i would apreiciate the help thanx

Quote:
Original post by Brinstar
You are aloud to remake with new graphics just not sell!!!
please any help ...

No, you're not. Playground laws aren't applicable in the grown ups court of law. (In the US, but similiar in other countries) Even if the plantiff's lawyer can't prove you did any damage at all (and when going up against corperate lawyers with a wordwide brand image that's impossible, even if you didn't make money) you can still be required to pay up $150,000 in damages simply because you used the copyright without permission (no requirement that you made money, no requirement that you did harm, all you had to have done is use the copyright. Heck, you can write the name "Metroid" on your porch door and still be on the wrong side of the law when it comes to the basic damages)

search through interactive hands-on forums and the articles on that have a step by step game making rpg tutorial. that should get you started.

honestly, my biggest issue would be to learn to get these 3 simple things on the screen. your player, the background, the sound. and obviously have input enabled. once you got that straight and understand how you got to those points then you can start putting together enemies, collision, and later on scrolling and levels.

one step at a time.

they are not haters, they only want to prevent you from doing something stupid. no one here was unfriendly. they only explained the risks of using someones intellectual property (even the word is stupid). the good thing when i make i game is that my gfx suck so much that no one would see the similarity to real game characters even if i would intend to copy a popular game :P

Well, the AP was a bit crisp with his reply, which probably wasn't called for. Gamedev.com gets many posts like your first one, with people being overambitious with their first game, which isn't really your fault, more a case of not knowing what you're in for. If you've posted this many times to get somewhere, then you've got more grit than 99% of most wannabes.

I would discard trying to clone or remake Metroid, because at the heart Metroid is a very simple generic idea (platform, gun, exploring a small world with increasingly interesting power-ups) and your game doesn't have to be that. If you make the game with "Metroid" in your mind, it will come out like a Metroid clone. If you strip it down to "2d platform shooter" then you'll come out with something much more interesting and creative. It will also feel so much more yours. I can't begin to tell you how good that will feel.

Quote:

If you strip it down to "2d platform shooter" then you'll come out with something much more interesting and creative. It will also feel so much more yours. I can't begin to tell you how good that will feel.

you nearly brought me to abandoning my current project just to make something like that... it would be really funny :) i think my next project will be a 2d platform game with many powerups...
but until then i have to deal with 3d :(

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, we've all seen it happen to some rather high-energy startups with some shred of potential. If they really do get good enough to get noticed, they get noticed by the IP holders as well and they immediately get shut down.

So as it's already been said, don't remake Metroid. Make a platform-shooter, possibly with a hero in a power suit and some underground caverns with interesting powerups, but don't remake Metroid. Getting your project shut down in it's greatest hour is a real bummer and a half.

Loool.Loved the int.prop part.Why the heck bother writng something like that guys??I mean,yeah its illegal,but give it a break he's not risking anything for the moment.And by the ways,nintendo isnt making money off the nes metroids anymore so there's no way in hell they'll bother filing a lawsuit against the guy.It'll make it loose money AND free publicity.Anyways,i think most of us tend to forget that the first thing that keeps a project like this(non commercial and/or profit generating) going is the fun.So if they want to do a metroid clone,i say let'em do it.If they find it too hard in some time i just hope they'll switch to something simpler and not give up coding all togheter

Quote:
Original post by zic
And by the ways,nintendo isnt making money off the nes metroids anymore so there's no way in hell they'll bother filing a lawsuit against the guy.
Metroid: Zero Mission for GBA.

Inform yourself.

@Brinstar:
I say go for it. Just remember to change the name and the noticeable graphics enough, okay?

ITs not like i was going to mass produce it, it was just for fun so i can play it to better graphics not sell it....and plus im 17 i dont think i am capable of sellin it...and i dont intend to it is for my play and programing group only

Guest Anonymous Poster
I've just got to say this, why do people say things like
"do nintendo know you plan to steal their intellectual copyrights", it's like someone comes along and says I want to do this, and some people just feel they have to say a reason why they can't. The fact that the OP is a newbie and those of us who are more experienced know it will get knowwhere, should be the thing you aree telling him.

It should be about Making it possible!!!

not "oh you can't do this", "oh you can't do that". It's all this legal stuff, I feel sorry for you people, the guy isn't saying we will release it, as I already mentioned most of us know (him being a newbie), it will probably not get any where any way. At the end of the day if the OP did have sucess with this, he would then need to think about changing it a bit to avoid copy right stuff, but thats way off in the future, and if he got that far he probably wouldn't mind as he'd have a game any way.

Too many people tell other people they can't do things. I would hate to admit on these forums some of the things I do (programming wise), I just don't say anything.

Im surprised no one has posted this yet.

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/mdx_tutorial1.asp
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/mdxtutorial2.asp

Its a two part managed direct draw tutorial that uses a metroid clone as an example. He concentrates on the code for the graphics and doesn't actually go into any metroid-y code, but its interesting none the less.

Err.. no, Nintendo is currently on a big hunt for games that infringe on their IP.

Dated 8/19/2004 (last month)

http://forum.nuklearpower.com/showthread.php?t=5500&page=1&pp=10

Quoted from Nintendo of America emails

"To whom this may concern:

Nintendo of America Inc. (NOA) is providing this letter of notification to make you aware of material infringing NOA's exclusive intellectual property rights posted on the internet site thegaminguniverse.com and its various subdomains.

NOA has a good faith belief that the titles Open Zelda, Adventure Zelda, Zelda: Link's Odyssey, Zelda 2 Enhanced, and Super Mario World Classic found on the site in question infringe Nintendo's intellectual property rights. These games are illegal derivatives of Nintendo video games, protected by copyrights and trademarks.

Nintendo is the owner of numerous copyrights in its video games. As the owner of such copyrights, Nintendo has the exclusive right under U.S. law to authorize copies of its video games. In addition to its copyright protection, Nintendo has rights under Federal and State Trademark laws. Your unauthorized activities with respect to the offering, distribution, trade and display of unauthorized copies of Nintendo's intellectual property constitutes both copyright and trademark infringements in violation of 17 U.S.C. 101 et seq. and 15 U.S.C. 1114, 1115 and 1116, and other applicable federal and state criminal and civil laws.

The previously mentioned software that you promote and make available for download are clear violations of Nintendo's rights in the characters and audio visual works protected by U.S. and international copyrights and trademarks, regardless of how or why these software were created. In an effort to quickly resolve this matter, please remove such content and software from all internet sites immediately.

Sincerely,

NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC."