Remake of Metroid

Started by
28 comments, last by Ravuya 19 years, 6 months ago
A couple friends and I, are planning to remake the Metroid NES game. WE NEED HELP!!!!! we are using Visual C++...should we also use SDL,OPENGL, or directX...... please any help or ideas.. post back or via e-mail Suspenders_away@hotmail.com
Advertisement
And does nintendo know you plan to steal and remake thier intelectual proporty?
You are aloud to remake with new graphics just not sell!!!
please any help ...
I'm guessing that you've never made a game of this size before. Firstly I really must recommend shelfing the metroid clone, and making some simpler games first and then coming back to it.

But to answer your question, for ease of use I would use SDL. It provides sound, input and GFX facilities and is really easy to learn. If you have never done 3D work before then don't bother with openGL. As for DirectX, I wouldn't recommend making a game with it if you've never used it before, it takes a lot of getting used to.
Yeah SDL for this project would be your best bet.
Thanx... I figured we would kind of make like a demo of sorm sort, like in super metroid in the beginning.. when you need the metroid sample and fight ridley...any more help....on ideas plz reply or e-mail
suggestions:
1) first draw up a plan (normally called a design document) of what you are going to use, graphics, how you want it to play, etc (game-related stuff).

2) if this is your first group project and first game programming (and seeing you asked a question such as what API do i use?) i would suggest SDL or Allegro. it doesn't matter which one, just pick.

3) you can have a game similar to Metroid but it can't be Metroid. no Samus Aran, no Mother Brain, no Zebes(?) Pirates, no Metroids. but you can have look alikes, variants, or different characters with the same colors, but not the same design!.

4) make sure you flesh out an idea to present to other people you want to help you. clearly state what you need and where you are with the project. help comes easier that way.

5) enjoy! cuz it'll be a few months before you get near to finishing. [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I need help on finding good tutorials or examples in this type of game feild.... Like making graphics putting in sound......moving the character ..Artificial intelegence you know the works... I just need some huge help on that part with TUtorials and examples so i would apreiciate the help thanx
Quote:Original post by Brinstar
You are aloud to remake with new graphics just not sell!!!
please any help ...

No, you're not. Playground laws aren't applicable in the grown ups court of law. (In the US, but similiar in other countries) Even if the plantiff's lawyer can't prove you did any damage at all (and when going up against corperate lawyers with a wordwide brand image that's impossible, even if you didn't make money) you can still be required to pay up $150,000 in damages simply because you used the copyright without permission (no requirement that you made money, no requirement that you did harm, all you had to have done is use the copyright. Heck, you can write the name "Metroid" on your porch door and still be on the wrong side of the law when it comes to the basic damages)
search through interactive hands-on forums and the articles on that have a step by step game making rpg tutorial. that should get you started.

honestly, my biggest issue would be to learn to get these 3 simple things on the screen. your player, the background, the sound. and obviously have input enabled. once you got that straight and understand how you got to those points then you can start putting together enemies, collision, and later on scrolling and levels.

one step at a time.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement