Is there a best OS for programming?

Started by
36 comments, last by PurpleAmethyst 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, Well I'm planning to buy a computer, as I mentioned in a previous post. The problem I got now is deciding which OS is best for programming, I'm inclined to decide on a Windows platform, as it's combatible with VB, although I use Java mainly. What OS is best for Java development, or doesn't it matter? Thanks in Advance TomX [Edited by - TomX on September 21, 2004 2:28:05 PM]
Advertisement
It doesn't matter. Just use whatever platform you're most comfortable with. Windows might be very slightly better, since theres more software for it - E.g. IDEs and tools
Thanks, what advantages does Linux have over Windows in relation to programming?
Quote:Original post by TomX
Thanks, what advantages does Linux have over Windows in relation to programming?

Better Editors and more techie oriented environment. Harder to crash it too if you do something dumb by mistake. That goes for any UNIX not just Linux

I can't really think of anything, honestly. That said, I use Linux as a development environment. It's just what I'm familiar with, and I like the tools available. I don't necessarily feel that they're better than their MS counterparts. Use what you are comfortable with. If you think you might like an alternative toolset better, then try it out. Use whichever one you decide that you like more.
Well with all the bad information about Windows and the superiority of Linux (although this may not be true, it's just what I read) I feel I need to learn how to use/network Linux and I feel that using Linux would make compiling faster (probably stupid and really not much faster).
Well with all the bad information about Windows and the superiority of Linux (although this may not be true, it's just what I read) I feel I need to learn how to use/network Linux and I feel that using Linux would make compiling faster (probably stupid and really not much faster).

This is the subject of holy wars, so I will leave my opinion out of it. I will say, though, that practically speaking, and having used tools under both operating systems, that I've not really noticed a significant difference in build times.

If you want to learn Unix style network administration, then I say go for it. Nothing wrong with broadening your skill set, right? It's one more thing you can put on your resume.
Quote:Original post by null_void

This is the subject of holy wars, so I will leave my opinion out of it. I will say, though, that practically speaking, and having used tools under both operating systems, that I've not really noticed a significant difference in build times.

If you want to learn Unix style network administration, then I say go for it. Nothing wrong with broadening your skill set, right? It's one more thing you can put on your resume.

Yea, it's true about the resume thing. The problem with a linux computer is finding combatible hardware and those problems aren't for this forum.

Anyway, from what you've said, in relation to programming, platform isn't important in terms of performance, so this leads me into temptation to settle with Windows, plus the IDEs I currently use are Windows exclusive.

Thanks for the Advice
TomX
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Why not just run a dual boot? That way, you still have all the Windows tools (and games), as well as linux to develop on.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement