Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dreamscape

Need help with Lesson 6...

Dreamscape    122
Here is the problem... Lesson 6 is about texture mapping. I completed the code as shown on Lesson 6 and have also downloaded the code that was provided at the bottom. When compiled in Borland C++ version 5.02, the object code will not link. The error message is as follows: Unresolved External ''auxDIBImageLoadA'' in file "D:\TEXTUREMAPPING2D.obj" I have downloaded the original .lib, .dll and .h files that originally came with Borland and Windows 98 second edition. I have also received a copy of Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (gag...) and tried to compile the code on it. The code will compile and make an executable, but when I try to get into the executable, it will say "Can''t initialize" and shuts down. My computer is set for 16-bit color (as was stated in the lesson and by NeHe(don''t know his real name... )), I have Windows 98 Second Edition, a S3 ViRGE video card, the files name is TextureMapping2D (hence, the problem with the object file) and the texture I am trying to place on the cube is cloud.bmp (a file created myself) which is located on my second hard drive. Please help me and tell me why there is the error is showing up and why I can''t initialize the executable. Oh, and I tried the code on a Windows NT 4.0 with a service pack 6 and it still does the same thing. PLEASE HELP! I would appreciate it TREMEDOUSLY! Mike

Strylinys    122
The reason your exe doesn''t run is because it''s not in the same directory as the images you specified. You have to move either the images or the exe, then it should work. As for borland (gag... ) I have seen that problem come up in a few earlier posts that were involving vc++5.0 or something crazy like that... I have a feeling it''s just the version your working with, the dlls don''t like it or something... I''m sure someone will remember the solution to that one and post it here...

S.

btw, NeHe is Jeff Molofee as stated at the bottom of almost every page on his site. What a psycho, eh? ehehehhehehahahahaha... j/k.

Nate    122
A few suggestions. Make sure you are linking to glaux.lib and make sure the you #include in the source file where the function is called. Not sure why your computer acts so weird, I have a feeling it’s a OpenGL driver problem since the S3 Virge isn’t a OpenGL accelerator.

If you can’t get the code to compile correctly try looking around on the net for some non-GLAUX texturing code. Using GLAUX is a bad thing so you should avoid using it at all costs. Even if you do get the code to compile you might as well find other code to play with. I have some texturing code here (http://nate.scuzzy.net/gltut/texture.zip), but I don’t know if it will compile in Borland. It will work with VC++ though. Hope this helps.

Nate Miller
http://nate.scuzzy.net

Dreamscape    122
Thank you guys for the help. Still isn''t working with the website and zip file provided up above nor the code I am using. I''ve tried to move the bitmap file from the D drive to the C drive and all over the place on subdirectories, but it still isn''t working. I think it is my video card cuz it didn''t work at college with their Win NT systems. Either that or my computer is really messed up! (which is probably the case...) Thanks for the help!

Mike

P.S. Dang it! I knew his name. All I had to do was look in my inbox. There are nothing but replies from Jeff Molofee. I''ve bugged him enough! I''ll post on here from now on.