Sign in to follow this  
daerom

Octree + x file + animation

Alright, I was doing some reading on Octrees and came across a few interesting points as to how some people impliment them. Anyway, I am under the following impressions: 1) use as fewvertex buffers and index buffers as possible. 2) use as few draw calls as possible. The problem I have is currently I was planning on using the MeshContainer for holding my mesh data as well as using the built in animation controller directx 9 has, but it uses 1 vb per mesh, so you end up having a draw call for each mesh, and it would have to swap out vb's each time you draw a different model. Atleast that's the way I understand it... correct me if I am wrong. So, my question is this, Should I ditch the built in directx mesh classes, make my own importer(3ds,.x, what ever) and try my hand at skeletal animation? Or is the performance hit from using the directx classes and having multiple draw calls not as much as I am thinking?

Well, as far as directx performance via their animation controllers and such- I think it is a very good thing to start off with their animation system. perhaps it will perform just fine for your purposes. And there is probably a ton of optimizations you could do once you get a good feel for it.

I have some tutorials on skinning and writing exporters. It is not a trivial task but it's very good to learn how matrix transformations work and the various tricks you can do to speed up things:

My tutorials

Btw, it is okay for each entity to have their own VB. because if each entity shared the same VB, they'd both transform the mesh every frame. That would be really slow. In my tut on software skinning I explain that in better detail.