Untitled

Started by
0 comments, last by Mushu 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone ! I've continued reading the MSDN's tutorial on D3D and here are some questions I have so far: What is the adapter ? ( i.e. GetAdapterDisplayMode( ) ... ) What is the difference between hardware acceleration and software acceleration ? What is a vertex buffer ? What is it used for ? Could someone explain me that code that I took from MSDN's tutorial on vertex buffers please ?
VOID* pVertices;
if( FAILED( g_pVB->Lock( 0, sizeof(g_Vertices), (BYTE**)&pVertices, 0 ) ) )
    return E_FAIL;
memcpy( pVertices, g_Vertices, sizeof(g_Vertices) );
g_pVB->Unlock();

And finally ( for now ) what is the rhw parameter ?
Advertisement
(Correct me if wrong!)

adapter: basically the device that renders to your screen.

hardware acceleration: graphics done with GPU.
software acceleration: done with CPU.

vertex buffer: object which stores all of the vertex information and such in the video memory. Speeds things up a lot as compared to just using arrays of vertices: Applications control the memory allocation for vertex buffers when they are created. When the D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM memory flag is set, the vertex buffer is created in system memory. When the D3DPOOL_DEFAULT memory flag is used, the device driver determines where the memory for the vertex buffer is best allocated, often referred to as driver-optimal memory.

RHW: transformed and lit vertices must include a reciprocal of homogeneous W (RHW) value. RHW is the reciprocal of the W coordinate from the homogeneous point (x,y,z,w) at which the vertex exists in projection space. This value often works out to be the distance from the eyepoint to the vertex, taken along the z-axis.

EDIT: and btw, this is a "double post". To delete a post that you accidentially made twice, click "EDIT" then, "DELETE POST" and the whole topic will be removed.

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...

[Edited by - Mushu on September 21, 2004 5:34:45 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement