*Noob* First-Time Large-Scale Level Development

Started by
1 comment, last by Kyle N 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the message boards and have been game programming for about a year now. I'm currently taking on the challenge of developing a large-scale level for a game project I'm working on with a team of developers. The level is a typical suburban neighborhood; flat, six blocks parallel to one another, each block lined w/ houses and seperated by a street. I'm still in the pre-planning process and would appreciate a few suggestions on what I should use to arrange/render the neighborhood geometry. My one question is: What's a necessary container to organize the level (i.e. Quad-Tree, Oct-Tree, BST, etc. ) ? If you have any suggestions or places of reference, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx so much. Happy programming, ~Brian
"One must learn to follow before one can lead."
Advertisement
Since you're inquiring about graphics, I'll move this from Game Design to Theory, where you'll get a better response.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
To organise the level logically, you'll want to look at scenegraphs. Yann's explanations can be found here, here, and here.

To perform HSR you'll then want to consider your octree/quadtree/BSP/etc. In your case a quadtree sounds like it would be the best option, but it depends on your engine and how your levels are organised (size/arrangement/etc).

Kyle

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement