Game Engines

Started by
10 comments, last by coldacid 19 years, 6 months ago
hi are those game engines are easy to use and cross-platform (linux,win,mac) 1) crystal space 2) irrlicht 3) ogre and what others DLL's/lib's I need for game developing in c++ [Edited by - ipsilon on September 22, 2004 4:18:19 PM]
sorry for my english...it's not my native language so I may make some mistakes
Advertisement
Perhaps you should check the websites for those engines. They all say quite clearly what platforms they'll work on, and what is required to build them with.
Quote:Original post by ipsilon
what game engines are easy to use and cross-platform (linux,win,mac)

1) crystal space
2) irrlicht
3) ogre

Yes.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

with one of those 3 is most mature in develop, have good and easy to read documentation and what others DLL's/lib's I need for game developing in c++

------------------
sorry for my english... its not my native language so I may make some mistakes
sorry for my english...it's not my native language so I may make some mistakes
Why not search the forums, before asking... this has been asked so many times before.. Also lookup the game-engine overview on gamedev..
I have used Irrlicht before and I like it. But Ogre and CS got more features and are a bit more mature.

What you should do is to give each engine at least a week where you just tries it out and modifies the examples.
And then you pick the one you feel was the best one.
Is cross-platform support a necessity for you? The Nebula Device 3D engine is fairly mature, but Windows-centric. Some people are currently compiling the core on Linux, but there's no OpenGL Server to display anything yet, and I'd guess roughly a year before there is. The code is MIT licensed. Nebula1 was commercially proven. The current Nebula2 is not, but probably will be this Christmas.
Cheers, Brandon J. Van Every(cruise (director (of SeaFunc) '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
It depends a lot of what you need.

The best option is to try them all, because they're all good engines.

If you want to make a complete game, I think Crystal Space is the best option. Also look at Crystal Core (see Crystal Space website), because it gives a good overview how to use CS/CEL.
Personally, I love the Irrlicht engine. I find it very intuitive to use and there is a large user base when you need help
I'm sold on OGRE. Because I think in terms of objects, it's easy for me to cope with it (it's uber object-oriented), and I have my choice of what API it uses for rendering. Plus, there's a great number of third party libs that integrate with it, such as CEGUI.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement