dx for linux

Started by
16 comments, last by kroiz 23 years, 6 months ago
Dx For Linux. is it os posibly and true.
0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Advertisement
Possible = yes.
True = no.

Like MS would port DirectX to Linux... When hell freezes over

Edited by - Muzzafarath on October 3, 2000 2:12:39 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
(almost) everyone who uses linux hates all microsoft stuff, so...
Well, you could make an DX wrapper using OGL??
dx for linux?
It''s called SDL
libsdl.org
Learn something new. There''s plenty of alternatives, and nearly everything in Linux can be ported back to Windows . SDL and OpenGl are my recommendations.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
plz forgive my ignorance again. ( i feel so small with all the matyers and Zealots that respond my post). :->
does sdl make emulation when an function isn''t suported by some hardware?
and what about something like an exclusive mode?
plz don''t be mad at me i''m a newbie to the linux.
i hate MS too(maybe not hate, hate is a strong word but u gotta love linux and ...).
what i''m actully bothering me is can linux be more usre friendly and desktop oriented without losing it''s power.

and again sorry for thinking such unholy thoughts.
Uhh, why does everyone think that to use Linux you have to hate Microsoft? I mean, granted, *i* hate Microsoft, but in reality, i''m just in the vocal minority. Most people who use Linux are the right-tool-for-the-job types, rather than the i-refuse-to-use-comercial-software types. So, don''t feel bad or threatened if you think Microsoft did some things right (although you''d best be ready to back up that sort of statement), and certainly don''t feel that you have to hate them.

Anyway, SDL actually uses DirectX when it''s compiled for Windows, and thus has much of the same functionality and acceleration DirectX has. It uses the local services of whatever OS it''s compiled for, so generally, SDL allows you access to some of the best performance and functionality on whatever platform for which you develop.

-benc
I''m not aware if DirectX is available for Linux/X.

An alternative approach is to write yer game using SDL
per it''s portable to Linux and Windows. However SDL
dosen''t allow you to take full advantage of Linux''s features since it needs to comform to Windows'' limitations (for
portability).

If you write an OpenGL with X11 game, it can be ported
to Windows quite easilly and you can take advantage of
Linux''s features since you arn''t using any wrappers in
between.

The down side is that you need to write the glx and glw
wrappers yourself.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
What are some of these features that Linux has that Windows doesn''t that keep getting mentioned?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement