SEH problem in release mode

Started by
2 comments, last by Void 23 years, 6 months ago
Just to let u know.. There seems to be a problem with SEH raising exceptions in release mode (using VC++ 6 SP4) In release mode, a divide by zero does not raise any exceptions but it does in debug mode. However, if I uncomment the cout line after the divide (in release mode), an exception would be raised. If the program was compile with the /EHa option (asynchronous exception), then an exception is always raised. I didn''t do an disassembly but it''s probably due to the compiler not generating the divide code since it''s not used.

#include < windows.h >
#include < iostream >
#include < stdexcept >

using namespace std;

void SEH_Translator( unsigned int u, EXCEPTION_POINTERS* pExp )
{
	throw exception("SEH exception");
}

void main()
{
	try
	{
		_set_se_translator(SEH_Translator);

int x,y;

x	= 9999;
		y	= 0;

int z = x/y;// cause a divide by zero exception

//	cout << z << endl;	// uncommenting this throws an exception in release mode

}
	catch(...)
	{
		cout << "Exception caught" << endl;
	}
}

Advertisement
It''s probably because the divide (IDIV instruction, if you''re compiling x86) wasn''t generated in release mode. Check the disassem.

Yup, since z is local and is only assigned never used, the optimizer (in Release) won''t generate the instructions. When you uncomment your cout code, z is now used and the optimizer will generate the IDIV instruction and you''ll get your exception.
The funny thing is.. when I enable asynchronous exception handling (/EHa) option, an exception is raised in the divide line, even when the cout is not there (in release mode too)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement