God/Prophet war

Started by
13 comments, last by red_sodium 19 years, 6 months ago
Hey, have there been any games made centering around a battle/war between Gods/Prophets of different religions/civilizations? And if there hasn't, would you play a game relating to this if it was made? The game I have in mind would be a deathmatch or something similar between the Greek Gods (Zeus, Hercules, etc), the Egyptian Gods (Horus, Hapi, Isis, Anubis, etc), the Norse Gods( Thor, etc) also amongst messiahs/prophets/people of religious importance such as Jesus, Mohammed, Goliath, Buddah, etc. You would also have weapons relating to the character, such as Thor's hammer, Jesus' cross-bow, Zeus' lightning bolts, Buddah's golden balls... Of course, the game's central themes would be comedy and light-heartedness, but does it sound like a good idea?
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
Advertisement
...populous? Black & White?
You are moving into such dicey territory that I'd advise you not to proceed. You're on fairly safe ground with older polytheistic gods (Greek/Roman/Egyptian/Norse), because the religions are virtually defunct and the traditional images are an interpretation. Stuff like putting Jesus and Mohammed in, however, will get you into trouble. Even playing it for laughs is not good, because you'll be accused of mocking those faiths.

So to summarise, Thor and such is pretty cool, but Jesus is not. I pondered a similar idea, a fighter with divine agents (angels, devils, buddhist Myo-O and Ten etc), and discarded it for the same reason.
[sub]Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good![/sub]
I would love to see Tyr and Ares duke it out to prove who is the better god of war... or would that be Odin and Ares?

I have to agree that you shouldn't put figures from modern religions in your game.
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
Quote:Original post by red_sodium
Jesus' cross-bow

How clever.
Okay, thanks, yeah and if I make it just ancient Gods, I can call it "God War" or something instead of God/Prophet/People Of Religious Importance War, and as an added bonus I wouldn't get firebombed :)

I'll probably give it a shot sometime in the near future as a small free fun hobbyist project.

If anyone has any ideas of Gods to include and some of their weapons/abilities, feel free to suggest them ;)
Age of Mythology? Anyone? Bueller?
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Awww, thanks for pointing that out Eric. I thought AOM was just a turn-based civilization game or something.

I suppose this'll be more FPS deathmatch than strategy though.
No it's the same real time strategy format as the AOE/AOK line, but they changed religion to be more of a main concept instead of a support unit. Units are mythology based, dependant on what civilization you choose - minotaur and hydra for the greeks, for example. Your priests and heroes can also call on divine powers that are specific to your racial pantheon.

They were very limited in their choices of deities; each civ only had 3 gods that you could choose from to worship.

This isn't to say you couldn't go forward with your own concept of it, and as an FPS you can expand the pantheon choices to allow for greater diversity. I will repeat what's already been said - stick to the so-called mythological pantheons and avoid the "modern" religions.
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Quote:Original post by red_sodium
Hey, have there been any games made centering around a battle/war between Gods/Prophets of different religions/civilizations?

There have been games kind of like that (B&W for instance) but not exactly the way you're proposing.

Quote:And if there hasn't, would you play a game relating to this if it was made?

Most definitely! I would also quite enjoy watching all the religious fundies get blazingly angry at something so silly as whose god is most powerful in a video game. You could be the next Salman Rushdi!

Quote:The game I have in mind would be a deathmatch or something similar between the Greek Gods (Zeus, Hercules, etc), the Egyptian Gods (Horus, Hapi, Isis, Anubis, etc), the Norse Gods( Thor, etc) also amongst messiahs/prophets/people of religious importance such as Jesus, Mohammed, Goliath, Buddah, etc.

That would be hilarious. Immortal Kombat. Heh.

Quote:You would also have weapons relating to the character, such as Thor's hammer, Jesus' cross-bow, Zeus' lightning bolts, Buddah's golden balls...

Jesus had a cross-bow? You mean like Jesus Christ vampire hunter?

Quote:Of course, the game's central themes would be comedy and light-heartedness, but does it sound like a good idea?

Yes, and tons of religious fundamentalists would totally misunderstand and want to kill anyone making such a game. To make it even funnier, you should have some unknown god from a long time ago more powerful than everybody elses god and watch the sparks fly!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement