2D Redux: Sidescrollers!

Started by
4 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 6 months ago
My brain has been completely fried on sim / RPG / strategy game brainstorming, so I''m taking a break. What do you think are great characteristics of a sidescroller? What would you really want to improve? Here''s an idea: I''m thinking of what I''m calling (don''t laugh) "Jonny Jetpack" (well, okay, laugh ). It''s sort of 1930s themed, like the old movie "The Rocketeer." I''m thinking it''s sort of a campy game about flying around with a jetpack and fighting aliens or Nazis or whatever. The play is like Defender when you fly. The levels wrap, and you have to take out airborne baddies and avoid hitting terrain. But then you''d land and fight guys on foot. Maybe you''d even enter buildings or underground complexes. I''m thinking the jetpack indoors might play some role, or you might be limited to platform jumping. I don''t have a goal in mind yet, just an idea of a cool Iron Man type guy in an armored suit and maybe some fun gameplay. Ideas? Additions? Flames? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Oooh A superhero, 1950 style ? I like that Ever read the original Ironman ? Even better, I remember reading some comics on superheroes during WorldWar II, with evil Nazi super heroes, and proud American ones... hilarious (especially when you know this wasn't a parody...)
In france there was even better, a superhero called Super Dupont. Fighting the antiFrance villains ... you would have to see it to understand the humor. But I like that a lot (Superdupont, by Gotlib).

As for platforms, I dunno why on Earth there ain't any done. I mean, there is great potential for cool graphics, and action. you jsut have to put an interesting background on the game itself. Emphasis the background story.
Personally, one of my favorite is the Commander Keen series, by ID software, because of the cool kid's dream environment.
Actually, I have developed a whole background for a game like that, I guess when I get the time ...

youpla :-P

Edited by - ahw on October 3, 2000 9:08:30 AM
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
And maybe you could have some mid-air 2 button beat ''em-up stuff Meets Joust when you are jetting in the air, where you bounce off each other. Ie. You have to block / throw and defeat the evil MytsiMageica.
have it networkable, sort of like WON''s silencer, but no main server needed, too much lag.
have it networkable, sort of like WON''s silencer, but no main server needed, too much lag.
Sounds like a sidescroller version of Cinemaware''s "Rocket Ranger". 1980s Amiga game. Not sure about other platforms.

Kaewan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement