• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
schoolkid

OpenGL tetris/game-board

This topic is 5408 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

sorry for this dumb question; i am looking to develop a tetris game; but wonder how do I display/draw the game board and its pieces; presently, i am working on a text version drawing the filled parts with 1 & empty spaces with 0. i have drawn primitives and other stuffs with OpenGL but wonder, how do i convert my present board status into OpenGL window; help me out.... ~ boyd

Advertisement
I read somewhere once (probably these forums, do a search) that you could use a 2D array for the 'board'. For the pieces, use a smaller 2D array.

Basically, you've got your board (- = 0, # = 1)

Initially:

----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------

(10x8 2D array)

An 'L' piece might be represented by:

#--
#--
##-

(3x3 2D array)

Board after 'L' piece placed:

----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
#---------
#---------
##--------

For collision detection you just mask the piece over the next space down/sideways, if you get two #'s then it can't move.

I'm fairly sure tetris is suggested as a first project because it's harder than you'd think- remembering that you have to be able to rotate the pieces, too.

This quote says it best: "90% of game development is data structure manipulation".

one other dumb question::

I completely agree with the way I gotto design my game-board as told above; assume I've a 2d array of (10 * 8) filled with 0's & 1's, how do i render them as - or #; how do i decide upon the positions for each value in the array; Is it something like I should increment the x by 1 for each column and then increment y for each row;

Is that correct ?

~ boyd

Guest Anonymous Poster

int i, j,BOARD_X=10,BOARD_Y=8;
bool board[BOARD_X][BOARD_Y];

for (i=0; i

This is how you would iterate through a 2D array and visit each cell on the way.

If this has answered your question I strongly suggested you read up on 2D arrays and other pertinent topics before having a stab at tetris.

([imwithstupid] Sorry, that was me, keep forgetting I'm not logged in and I can't edit that post now)

int i, j,BOARD_X=10,BOARD_Y=8;
bool board[BOARD_X][BOARD_Y];

for (i=0; i<BOARD_X; i++)
{

for (j=0; j<BOARD_Y; j++)
{
if (board[j]) // occupied block
{
printf("#");
}
else //empty block
{
printf("-");
}

printf("\n"); // print newline
}
}

This is how you would iterate through a 2D array and visit each cell on the way. It's neither efficient (nor correct) for a tetris game.

If this has answered your question I strongly suggested you read up on 2D arrays and other pertinent topics before having a stab at tetris.

Sorry, I got confused in the perspective of rendering them using OpenGL and was thinking in terms of glTranslate ()....

BTW, could you help me in rotating a piece; i've my piece defined as told by u:: a 3*3 2D array but I felt itz useless to have different rotation pieces as a separate piece and use them when a key event for rotation is given.

help me out....

~ boyd

Guest Anonymous Poster
I too was wanting to write a tetris clone, only in flash, and made a similar mistake of thinking I would rotate the pieces using the graphical interface (flash's graphical movieclip rotate function) until I realized that would make collision detection and deleting full rows much harder. I was able to find a very helpful open source flash tetris clone that is well commented and based on a 2d array, that may help you out:
http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Games/Full_Game_Source/Tetris_C-Ilya_Vol-9155/index.php
jordan314

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!