Required files?

Started by
6 comments, last by wise_Guy 23 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone! I just downloaded some demos from the NeHe site but ran into a brick wall when I tried to run them! I have a 3DFX Banshee and the latest drivers but I can''t find something on the site that tells me what else I require. What other files are needed to make these programs work, and where can I get them? Thanks
Advertisement
You mean the executables or the straight source code? The executables should run just as an exe (shouldn''t they???)... Unless you''re on a MAC! AH! Scary word. Evil, evil cross-platforming.

S.
quote:
???)... Unless you''re on a MAC! AH! Scary word. Evil, evil cross-platforming

Oh jeesh...more Mac bashing...when will it ever end?

Can''t we all just get along?

-Coleco

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!

--HASBRO SUCKS--
Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
No, I am running the executables. They all do the same thing, they open, then the screen goes black, and then they quit and all my windows are black (but I can see the borders!) And I''m definately NOT using a mac !!!

I think you guys have some files that you take for granted but that I don''t have...
As long as you''ve got the drivers for your video card it should work... If it didn''t have 3d acceleration even, it would just run in software mode... But it should still run and show up. Maybe Your computer just doesn''t like you. (They get minds of their own sometimes if you don''t feed them daily. Try pouring some water on your motherboard. ) Anywho... Ya, which ones in particular are you trying to run? Maybe you''ve messed with the Windows palette somehow and it didn''t like that all too much and is getting back at you.

S.
Well, I''ve tried to run the Critical Velocity demo and another one that wasn''t from NeHe but used OpenGL and had the same errors.

I suppose I probably have no choice but to pour water on my motherboard. I''ll just look in my motherboard manual then... gee I hope it doesn''t void my warranty...

wise_guy
Try changing your desktop resolution to 640x480(or whatever resolution the demo uses), and more importantly change the color depth to whatever color depth the demo uses(usually 16 bit, but critical velocity uses 32 bit). That might work.

On my computer, when I run a 16 bit demo with my desktop in 32 bit, The demo is squashed to only have the screen, and is purple. This also happens with Quake3
Hmm...

You might want to try the *evil* MiniGL drivers. I don't know if they work with the Nehe examples but generally, if OpenGL won't work with a Voodoo, Voodoo Rush, Voodoo², Voodoo Banshee or Voodoo 3 try the MiniGL drivers (simply copy them one by one to the .exe directory)

Worth a try.

[edit]
oh and if the demo uses 32 bit you're out of luck. The Banshee only supports 16 bit 3D.
[/edit]

- JQ, PWC Software
"There are no pessimists, optimists and realists; just pessimists and optimists who think they're realists" -me

Edited by - JonnyQuest on October 7, 2000 4:07:58 PM
~phil

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement