• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cosmosis

DirectX Console - debug settings

This topic is 5411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I forget exactly what it is called, but there is an option in the D3D tab in the DirectX console to throw an exception when a memory leak is detected. When this option is turned on my very basic (textured quad) program throws this exception when I try to quit. If I remove all of the texture code it closes just fine though. I'm sure Texture.Dispose is being called before I quit. Are there any other texture related resources I need to free before I quit? It seems to be fine with the vertex buffers, devices and DirectInput ... but it doesn't like the texture. My second question has to do with the debug logging settings in the same control panel. Do these log messages get sent to the debug console in VS.Net? I have all my settings cranked up and am not getting anything, no warnings, errors or trace messages. Im using the C# 2005 Expres beta ... I suppose its possible that its console window is broken. Any thoughs on either of these issues? thanks

Advertisement
They should get sent to the 'Output' panel (at least, that's what it's called in .NET 2003), and it'll only work if you're running the app through the debugger. If you're doing that and it's not working, then take a look around for an external debug monitor app - I think SysInternals has something. You could then use that to test if you're actually getting any debug output, and thus whether it's the console window or DX/you at fault.

Another thing you could try is outputting your own debug messages from the app. I don't know how to do that under .NET, but in Win32API it's OutputDebugString(). Whether your own messages show up would help determine where the problem is.

Thanks for the input superpig,

I finally got the debug messages working. I found an obscure option that had turned off the Debug messages (by default) to the output window.

I'm still having the texture memory leak issue though ... Im not as worried about that one though ... I'll figure it out eventually :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!