• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Plasma Dragon

College Plans

This topic is 5407 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking around for suggestions on what classes I should look for in College and what Colleges would be best for an aspiring programmer. I'm interested in any programming language, particularly C++, and I'm also getting into some 2d and 3d art. And hence the forum I'm posting in, I'm more interested the game creation aspects than anything else.

Advertisement
Don't worry about specific languages. You can be a bad/good programmer in any language. It's likely you'll use Java, possibly Scheme, possibly (possibly) C++. Enjoy what you are given a chance to learn. There is always something new even if you feel you are ahead. Don't become critical of your teachers because you think you know more than they do: that's just death. You'll end up hating them. If you feel you already know stuff, help others with their work... it will consolidate your understanding and give you fresh insights... I promise.

'Being taught by someone who is learning is like drinking from a flowing stream'

Python and Scheme are very good for helping you become a good programmer. They are good learning languages.

Python is influenced by ABC which is conceived as a language to help people learn to program. It is freely available and all the good resources for learning it are online. There are few books worth buying about Python as it is all online already. As well as being good for learning Python can do all the difficult stuff you want as well. It is a very well rounded and useful language, whilst remaining simple.

Scheme is also good for learning and is quite different to the C family of languages (C/C++,Java,C#). Learning it will help you organise your thoughts. It will help you make better use of Python too. How To Design Programs is a comprehensive introduction to using Scheme (which is part of the Lisp family).

What I'm suggesting is that if you want to learn programming it's something that you have to be into rather than just choosing the language that will do everything or will get you a well paid job, and not bothering with anything else. If you're in a learning environment it's up to you to make good use of it. To round things out with the stuff which you might not get taught but which will make you a better programmer, even before you get to college, take a look at these languages.

College gets you in the door.

Experience and skills will help you succeed as a programmer. If you just want to be a programmer, then I recommend picking the least expensive college.

Kuphryn

[Edited by - kuphryn on September 24, 2004 9:32:31 PM]

Thanks for the suggestions, I intended on learning as many as I can. I'm just wondering what kinds of classes would be important in programming other than the obvious programming classes and if anybody here would like to advertise a college that they went to in the states.

You probably want to study linear algebra if you want to understand and use 3D graphics. I think math in general is good to develope logical thinking.

Quote:
Original post by Knaperstekt
I think math in general is good to develope logical thinking.

This is good advice. I can't beleive how much college math and physics helped me with my problem solving skills.

As for programming, it would be best to pick out just one language that you can learn standard programming concepts and logic because languages differ mainly in syntax, but are programmed using the same logic. Well learned programming logic will allow you to pick up new languages quickly, as it is only a matter of learning syntax, standard libs, conventions, etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!