Displacement Maps

Started by
4 comments, last by thoue 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi Folks, Does anybody know of any good tutorials on how to implement Displacement Maps in DirectX? I've searched Google and can't find anything decent. Many thanks Jam
Advertisement
wow,dude,u must have a 6800 or X800
Check out NVidia's SDK 8.0 at this site (it appears to be down, at the moment). The SDK has a sample titled "Simple vertex texture example" which uses displacement mapping with vs_3_0.

Some of the other samples are really cool, too, like HDR Deferred shading and mesh instancing. It also comes with tons of HLSL shaders.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
circlesoft, cheers for that, does anybody have an example using DirectX and not OpenGL though?

lxxxk, not got a 6800 yet but want to try it out using software ref before I buy a new card.

Surely there must be a DirectX example somewhere?
Quote:Original post by jammyt
circlesoft, cheers for that, does anybody have an example using DirectX and not OpenGL though?
The important portion of this sample resides in the vertex shader, so it shouldn't take much effort to convert from OpenGL to DirectX. CG and HLSL are practically identical. All you would have to do is change the shaders to be compatable with the effect framework.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I think you can achive this effect pretty easily with HLSL.

if you need more info i can provide at gabriel_a_gdev@hotmail.com
************THOUE*****Spec:Intel: 2.8GHzAti Radeon 9800 pro1024mg RAMDevelopping C# DX 9.0c appsThx you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement