• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CProgrammer

the good old parallel port

This topic is 5417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I built my own ISP Programmer cable that uses the parallel port. Now I used the configuration needed for a programm called isp_avr. Now this programm allows me to enable the output voltage of different pins. Now I tried using a voltmeter to check for voltage between one of the pins and the GND pin. But nothing. How exactly does the parallel port work. Is it possible to detect a voltage between a pin and the GND pin? Is there only a current when the device is atached perhaps? So does the parallel port submit electricity or use that of the device? By the wa<y my cable should be fine I tested it with a resistance measurer and it detected everything correctly. -CProgrammer

Advertisement
I don't know the details but IIRC the parallel port is able to drive itself, ie. you should be able to detect a voltage on a pin set to high.

Yes indeedy. I built on IR remote control and decided to use the parallel port for the receiver - using soem VB code to read/write the port status. Indeed, when I wired it up wrongly the first time I erased the firmware off the receiver by pumping the parallel port output voltage through it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!