error on exit

Started by
14 comments, last by Gaiiden 23 years, 6 months ago
My program causes an illegal operation error after it closes. I did a bit of debugging and I realized that it was the code segment that released the main surface: if (lpdds7) { lpdds7->Release(); lpdds7 = NULL; } that was causing the problem. Any idea why? I added in an Unlock() function to make sure that the surface was unlocked before I destroyed it, but that still didn''t work. I also made sure i released the object in the reverse order of creation. If I take out the realease of the surface, then the program exits with no problem. Any ideas? let me know if you need more info. ============================== \\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot. ==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
You do not really need to assign NULL to the LPDIRECTDRAW object after it has been released.... but it should not be the cause of the crashing. I have been racking my brain with DirectDraw functions for awhile.

Good luck

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

I had the same problem with DD5. If you release the direct draw object before the surfaces, it will crash big time. Make sure to free your surfaces before your direct draw object.
Hope that helps
quote:Original post by Gaiiden

My program causes an illegal operation error after it closes. I did a bit of debugging and I realized that it was the code segment that released the main surface:

if (lpdds7)
{
lpdds7->Release();
lpdds7 = NULL;
}

I was having the same problem just yesterday, but with releasing my back buffer. If you''re using D3D, be sure to release the D3DDevice before you release the DD surfaces. If not, I have no idea^^

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)

"I'm dropping like flies!" - me, playing Super Smash Bros. (and losing)
"What fun!" - me, playing Super Smash Bros. (and beating the crap out of somebody)
OK, lemme clarify.

1 - setting it to NULL is just a precautionary measure
2 - I said towards the end of my post that I released my DD
objects in reverse order of creation
3 - I am using DirectDraw and I have no backbuffer, just a
primary surface

I still haven''t figured out what''s wrong with my program. Thanks for trying, guys, but you didn''t read well enough. any one else??

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

And mine was pointless anyway, cause I was just working on my program again and passed by that code, discovering that I just commented out the lpDDSBack->Release() part, cause it didn't work even with the 3DDevice released^_^ Then I noticed that my problem was I released the primary surface first, so yours must be having some other problem. The only thing I can think of is did you release lpDD before the surface? I'm sure you didn't, but I'd have to mess with it for a while to figure anything else out.

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)

"I'm dropping like flies!" - me, playing Super Smash Bros. (and losing)
"What fun!" - me, playing Super Smash Bros. (and beating the crap out of somebody)

Edited by - DekuTree64 on October 4, 2000 4:05:22 PM
Are u mult threaded?

if u are u should release the objects in the same thread that created them....

also another thread can eventually do some ddraw/d3d actions after or in the same time with release()...
so stop all working/flipping threads first

also check your WM_ActivateApp or WM_Close message handlers...they will be called in the shutdown process of your application....maybe u do some stuff there....but DDraw objects are not anymore?

Hope to help

Bogdan
obysoft
Question: What are you doing before releasing the surface pointer?

I only ask because the problem might be related to whatever
you are releasing before it. Check to make sure you are not
releasing the DirectDraw object before the surfaces because
this will cause the said problem.

Maybe you''ve already tried it but the list for releasing
should be:

Vid/System memory surfaces (not primary/back/z)
Direct3D device (if applicable)
Direct3D
Z buffer
Back buffer
Primary
DirectDraw.

--
Code..reboot..code..reboot..sigh!
MrF.--Code..reboot..code..reboot..sigh!
what version of MSVC are you using?
i know there was a bug with some versions that would mean you would have to write it like:

if(lpdds7 != NULL)

try that (im not saying it will work, just an idea..)
I''ll say again that I always release DD objects in reverse order of creation, meaning I''ll always release the main DD object last. No, I''m not using threads. Before releasing I''m not doing anything. I release first then carry out other shutdown stuff (not DD related). I close my program by posting a WM_DESTROY message. In the message handler I release the objects and post a quit message to end the app. Is that a problem?? I detect a keypress with a WM_KEYDOWN message (I sometimes use Andre LaMothes KEYUP and KEYDOWN macros too). Before the keypress is processed I''m locking the primary surface, writing a random pixel, and unlocking the surface. I''m using VC++ 4 Standard Edition.

\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement