• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lxxxk

A beginner's question of DirectPlay

This topic is 5412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just finished my first network game based on DirectPlay,everything works well,but some problem comes when I changed my IDirectPlay8Peer::Connect() and IDirectPlay8Peer::SendTo() from synchronously to asynchronously,they don't return DPNSUCCESS_PENDING but return E_INVALIDARG and sure didn't work any more,if my arguments are invalid why it works when sync?

Advertisement
I havn't used DirectPlay but it has been deprecated. I doubt you want to hear this but in general DirectPlay seems a waste to use. Just use sockets.

Hey dude,don't frustrate me,I have just give up using winsock,I feel that DirectPlay is more powerful and more easy to use.
Why everyone use sock,the dispute of D3D and OpenGL is never end,but I havn't seen any dispute between DirectPlay and WinSock,can anybody tell me.

Well as I said I havn't used DirectPlay so I don't know if it's easier but if you look in this thread you'll find alot of discussion on DirectPlay vs Sockets:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=259766

I think CounterStrike uses DP and NeverWinterNight uses sock,because CS has solved problems of NAT but NWN hasn't yet,it's my guess,don't know if it was right.

I like DP and it's security issue can be solved by other way.

Maybe I need to review DP from scratch,but so busy these days.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!